how to cure new high temp paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weezer4117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
central In
i have and older stove, make and model unknown with no ownerns manual. i am going to repaint it with high temp paint. what is the best process for curing the paint after applied?

Burn baby burn! But do it with the windows open for a good hour!

i stripped the paint off the top of the stove, cleaned the surface, and repainted it. yesterday i started a fire in it outside and the new paint cumbled up and blew off!!! either the paint is junk or im not curing it rite. the paint is made by Meeco Red Devil, 1200 Degree stove paint, with no instructions on the can so i could be doing it wrong. (glad i tested it outside first!!)

weezer4117 said:
i stripped the paint off the top of the stove, cleaned the surface, and repainted it. yesterday i started a fire in it outside and the new paint cumbled up and blew off!!! either the paint is junk or im not curing it rite. the paint is made by Meeco Red Devil, 1200 Degree stove paint, with no instructions on the can so i could be doing it wrong. (glad i tested it outside first!!)

If your paint is just crumbling off, you may have to do more than strip the paint...
There may be a contaminate on the surface that is inhibiting the paint adhesion...
What did you clean the surface with? Maybe you need to clean off the cleaner...
I've used StoveBrite Hi-Temp paints for the last 8 years, & the only times it didn't cured in place, there was a problem with the base metal...
Go to your local paint store & tell em what you used & what's happening...
They'll probably recommend a deglosser or another chemical to clean the metal before you paint it...

Status
Not open for further replies.