How to fix stuck vent cap on exterior?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
I tried to remove it to clean and the pipe won't budge. It seems to have rusted together or fused itself. Anyone have any tricks. I want to clean vent pipe, it is overdue. My pipe is directly out of wall without any vertical run.

it can be a pain, I just had to work on mine! took me and my buddy about 30 minutes. We heated it u with a torch and used a strap wrench to get some bite. Wear gloves!! and if it is as bad as mine was it will take two people working on it to get it lose. Good luck!

Most likely used RTV and that stuff does not like to let go. Patience and continued banging twisting and prying is about all that will do the trick. Once you get it apart and are ready to reassembly, might think real hard about using hi temp silicone tape to avoid that in the future.

I tried to remove it to clean and the pipe won't budge. It seems to have rusted together or fused itself. Anyone have any tricks. I want to clean vent pipe, it is overdue. My pipe is directly out of wall without any vertical run.

If there is any RTV high temp silicone you have to cut it with a knife and use a wire wheel on the drill to scrape it off.
When removing stick pipes or a cleanout cap:
I have tried everything and nothing works better than these 2 tools of choice. :)
Also tapping down on the seam with a rubber hammer and blade screw driver helps loosen it.
Just be careful not to destroy the pipes!

Attachments

• IMG_8758.JPG
    IMG_8758.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Pain in the arse 'tis. I learned the hard way on my very 1st install. Now my vent is all vertical from t thru roof. All inside joints have silicone Tape and all exterior joints treated with never seize before install. Now it's a breeze

If there is any RTV high temp silicone you have to cut it with a knife and use a wire wheel on the drill to scrape it off.
When removing stick pipes or a cleanout cap:
I have tried everything and nothing works better than these 2 tools of choice. :)
Also tapping down on the seam with a rubber hammer and blade screw driver helps loosen it.
Just be careful not to destroy the pipes!

Ahh yeah, the rubber mallet and flat blade screwdriver. Now I remember what I did all the banging and prying with.

Reactions: Don2222