how to fix this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
on my left door, there is a greyish color that doesn't come off. i'm not sure if it was scrubbed too hard at some point, or water got on it, or something else. but, it doesn't go back to black.

do i clean with a rag, then oil it? or, spray with high temp paint? something else?
fireplace.jpg

on my left door, there is a greyish color that doesn't come off. i'm not sure if it was scrubbed too hard at some point, or water got on it, or something else. but, it doesn't go back to black.

do i clean with a rag, then oil it? or, spray with high temp paint? something else?View attachment 253198
Paint it

Yes, looks like the door overheated in that spot and fried the paint. Repainting is the only solution.

Use stove paint, not rustoleum high heat or whatever.

If you want to touch it up, I'd contact the stove manufacturer and ask for the manufacturer and color of paint to use for a touch up.

You could also just repaint the whole thing with Stove Bright and you won't have to worry about matching colors.

I’m pretty sure it’s metallic black. Doesn’t really matter, after a stove has been that hot the paint never matches well. Mask everything off and repaint the face, you’ll be glad you did.

Reactions: jetsam
You will at minimum have to repaint both doors.

I’m pretty sure it’s metallic black. Doesn’t really matter, after a stove has been that hot the paint never matches well. Mask everything off and repaint the face, you’ll be glad you did.
I think I would brush paint the doors in this circumstance.

remove the glass, or not worth it?

why do you think brushing is better than spraying?
Spraying would require either masking everything off or pulling the glass. I personally would pull the doors off clean them up mask them and spray the paint. But that is just my preference brushing would be easier

remove the glass, or not worth it?

why do you think brushing is better than spraying?
Much easier and less masking or risk of overspray. Also, a lot less fumes. Stove Brite is good paint, but the fumes are killer and can rot brain cells. If you spray, ventilation and a vapor mask are important.

I prefer spraying stove bright paint over brushing It. I like a factory finish.

I wouldn't brush it. You'll never get the brush lines out. Have you ever seen someone try to paint a car with a brush? Or even cabinets in the kitchen. Always looks amateur.

Reactions: webby3650
I wouldn't brush it. You'll never get the brush lines out. Have you ever seen someone try to paint a car with a brush? Or even cabinets in the kitchen. Always looks amateur.
I thought the same, but several years ago a member brush painted his Fireview. I was really surprised at how nicely it turned out. The paint flowed quite nicely. This is not a large area of painting. Done right with a proper brush it can look good.

FWIW, my best friend is a cabinet maker and an excellent painter. He is exceptionally meticulous and does spray most of his work, but I have seen a couple of his brush painting jobs and they are remarkably nice and smooth.

I thought the same, but several years ago a member brush painted his Fireview. I was really surprised at how nicely it turned out. The paint flowed quite nicely. This is not a large area of painting. Done right with a proper brush it can look good.

FWIW, my best friend is a cabinet maker and an excellent painter. He is exceptionally meticulous and does spray most of his work, but I have seen a couple of his brush painting jobs and they are remarkably nice and smooth.

Lot of qualifiers, done right it can look good.

It certainly does depend a lot on skill, paint, prep, and the environmental controls. I have brushed high gloss poly on some wood projects that end up perfectly smooth. I would not expect the typical home owner to have the skills and environment to successfully paint metal with a brush without it being obviously not original.

At best, I would expect a "can hardly notice" or a 10' paint job. That might be good enough for some people. Spraying is much harder to mess up but certainly possible.

At best, I would expect a "can hardly notice" or a 10' paint job. That might be good enough for some people. Spraying is much harder to mess up but certainly possible.
I've seen several botched spray jobs too due to poor prep, too heavy application, not waiting to dry between coats, uneven coating, etc.. Each method requires following directions and a degree of skill.

Reactions: Highbeam
I think brush lines are primarily a brush issue. As a novice I was able to paint some exterior trim without showing lines when using a high quality brush and paint.

Reactions: begreen
I brush painted my 1980’s Fisher stove with metallic black stove bright and you could not tell the difference after the first fireing

Reactions: Highbeam