How to get the correct temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcollect

Jan 23, 2008
Garrett County, Md
It is in the low 40s at night so I am starting to burn. I am a newbie and would like to adjust the flue to the correct temp. What is that and what type/brand of thermometer is going to work best? Jotul 550 in a double sided fireplace. Also would it be effecient to use a fan on the back side to get more heat into the house? Thanks

There is a lot to wood burning that comes with experience. While flue temps are an indication of performance, only experience will help you learn how to load the stove for the weather. Size and type of wood, how much wood, etc. only come with experience with your individual setup.

FWIW, I've never had a thermometer but might consider picking one up to go with the new stove.

Yes, a fan blowing gently toward the stove will probably help somewhat, especially if the stove is surrounded by the fireplace.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.