How to install stove in garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StoveInNH

Jan 25, 2023
NH
I just bought a used wood stove in decent condition for my three car garage. The garage is insulated but not finished.

The stove is fine for what I need. Little rust on the outside but otherwise good condition. There is one fire brick inside that is broken that I will replace.

Can anyone offer some material requirements for me? I'd like to stay within New Hampshire code.

The stove exits with a 6-in fitting on top. I'll be going straight up through one uninsulated floor and out the insulated roof above that floor. Total run will probably be around 20 ft. No elbows or bends.

What do I need to be looking for as far as pipe goes? I obviously have a good deal of time before next winter so I'm going to keep my eyes out for any sort of deal.

There will be an insulated, non-sheetrockedn wall behind the stove but not on the sides (the walls on the sides are at least 8' away. How far from the wall should I be, and do I need to put any type of protective backer board on the wall.

The floor is concrete. How far off the floor should I raise the stove? Currently, the legs keep the stove about 6 in off the ground.

Codes in the US don't allow woodstoves to be installed in any garage so it can't be done to meet code

You cannot have a wood stove in any residential garage in the entire US? Does it matter that it's detached?
Nope. Lots of people still do it but it is a clear code violation and could cause problems with insurance if anything ever happened

Devil’s advocate here. Can we call it an unfinished addition that just happens to have tools and cars in it?

You can call it anything you want and put anything in it if you're paying the bills, don't owe money on it and don't care if insurance pays if something goes wrong.

Devil’s advocate here. Can we call it an unfinished addition that just happens to have tools and cars in it?
If it has cars in it it also has gasoline in it which is also prohibited

You can call it anything you want and put anything in it if you're paying the bills, don't owe money on it and don't care if insurance pays if something goes wrong.
True unless someone gets hurt in a fire caused by it. Granted the chances of that are very slim if installed properly. But there are absolutely risks associated with blatantly ignoring code.

Btw I think it's a stupid code but it really doesn't matter what I think of the code

You cannot have a wood stove in any residential garage in the entire US? Does it matter that it's detached?

Yes, wood burning stoves can be installed in garages.

They have to be in an area enclosed and separate from the parking area of the garage.

I had a garage built 6-7 years ago. I installed a partition wall to separate the parking (garage) area from the rec room portion of the garage structure.

This was inspected by the building inspector and the insurance company.

No problems.

couple years worth 357.JPG

couple years worth 377.JPG

312047-29e41de1c3d0d641b561cfa401122225.jpg

First pic is of some tongue and groove doors (mortise and tenon constructed) that were from a remodel project. There were 12 doors like those that were thrown out! I made a set of french swinging doors out of two of them.

2nd and 3rd pic show wood stove set up.

Check with your insurance carrier/building inspector. It appears to me that "out east" people can be wound up a bit tighter

couple years worth 334.JPG

Yes, wood burning stoves can be installed in garages.

They have to be in an area enclosed and separate from the parking area of the garage.

I had a garage built 6-7 years ago. I installed a partition wall to separate the parking (garage) area from the rec room portion of the garage structure.

This was inspected by the building inspector and the insurance company.

No problems.

View attachment 312021

View attachment 312022

312047-29e41de1c3d0d641b561cfa401122225.jpg

First pic is of some tongue and groove doors (mortise and tenon constructed) that were from a remodel project. There were 12 doors like those that were thrown out! I made a set of french swinging doors out of two of them.

2nd and 3rd pic show wood stove set up.

Check with your insurance carrier/building inspector. It appears to me that "out east" people can be wound up a bit tighter

View attachment 312020
OK code says solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage. That's what the code says. Now in your case that is clearly a separate room so that changes things. And yes some inspectors will pass it with a stove right in the garage. But they aren't liable for things they miss. And many insurance agents will tell you it's fine. Unfortunately most adjusters won't and most policies are written in a way they don't have to pay