How to keep cabin warmer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
yes, I got mine on Amazon. It seems to be currently unavailable though. Maybe other/similar models are available?

And speaking of ground moisture, I'm surprised how much there is this time of year. I’m building a woodshed. It’s pole construction. I was digging with post hole diggers and when I got about 18” down the hole started filling with water. I thought the ground would be more frozen/dry, but I guess not.
I've made similar observations over the last 5-10 years or so. Like our definition of X-year floods and such, I think we may need to revisit regional frost lines specs and their impacts on construction.

We’ve had a few warmer days recently, but on average are still below freezing for the high. My wife said I was crazy to try to dig this time of year. I was surprised to find the ground soft under the foot of snow.

In this area they say the frost line is something crazy like 4’. I think we would have to have really low temps for a long time, and no snow of the ground for the frost line to actually get that low.

I know the frost line is usually like a worst case scenario. Like the deepest it could possibly get. But still that’s crazy.

There's infinite moisture available in the ground. The water table goes up and down but the soil will always be moist especially if it's enclosed.

Guess I need to read up on what mil plastic I should put down under the house. I helped a friend do it about ten years ago at his house in TN, but I forget what we used.

Guess I need to read up on what mil plastic I should put down under the house. I helped a friend do it about ten years ago at his house in TN, but I forget what we used.
6 mil is best but I have used 4 mil. You just gotta be careful not to poke holes in it by crawling around too much. If it's gonna be high traffic I would definitely go with the 6 mil.

Ok maybe I’ll do 6 mil then I don’t go under there much, but don’t want to poke holes in the plastic when I do.
I have some long 1x8 boards under the house right now that I crawl around on. I got sick of crawling in the dirt when doing my insulation and plumbing.

Just now I did some quick research on crawl space vapor barriers. Damn some companies are selling 10 mil or even 20 mil sheeting. That’s pretty thick. It’s also expensive.

I can get a 10’x100’ roll of 6 mil sheeting for around 60 bucks from Ace. For the same stuff in 10 mill it’s like 200$ online. I’m sure the 20 mil is a bit more.

Probably just going with 6 mil...