How to load an insert with a catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason H

Oct 9, 2020
Hudson, Quebec
Hi,

Last year I researched methods to load an insert/stove, including the NS method, EW method, top lighting method and everything in between.

I would fill the box full and was getting great Temps and burn times. But in the proccess burnt out my Cat after only one season. I think the flames ate away at the cat. It was replaced under warranty and I also picked up a restrictor to further control the flames. So far this year I've only loaded a couple logs at a time out of precaution.

What I'm wondering is, is it a nono to pack the box of an insert full if it has a cat? Or is there a certain method to protect the catalyst.

Did you get the overdraft situation fixed?

Can you add your make and model insert to your signature line?

There is no limitation on how full you fill the firebox of a BK or Woodstock cat stove.

Hi,

Last year I researched methods to load an insert/stove, including the NS method, EW method, top lighting method and everything in between.

I would fill the box full and was getting great Temps and burn times. But in the proccess burnt out my Cat after only one season. I think the flames ate away at the cat. It was replaced under warranty and I also picked up a restrictor to further control the flames. So far this year I've only loaded a couple logs at a time out of precaution.

What I'm wondering is, is it a nono to pack the box of an insert full if it has a cat? Or is there a certain method to protect the catalyst.
This is a Regency Ci2700

You may be engaging the cat too late. Do you have a thermometer in the flue? Or better yet a probe thermometer in the cat? If you engage the cat too late you'll have exceptionally high temps in the cat and flue. I imagine you can pack the box but that means engaging the cat earlier than you would otherwise before the fire has a chance to "take off".

That's great advice. I do have a thermocouple located just above the cat. I try to engage it between 500 and 600 f. Last year, even at these temperatures I would find the Temps would shoot up to above 1200f. I believed this was a normal cruising temp. This year with a new cat, an air restrictor, and only a couple logs in the box, the temp cruised around 700f.

I wonder if that temp is because of the reduced fuel load, or the reduced air flow.

What I'm afraid of with fully filling the box, is having the flames lock and scoop out the honeycomb of the cat.

Ah ok. This one is a Regency Ci2700
There is no real limit with the regencies either. I have a feeling the damage happened before you had the draft under control. That is why they introduced the restrictor plate

Interesting, I'm only familiar with my old stove where it had the cat behind a refractory so it was mostly shielded from the flames.

Interesting, I'm only familiar with my old stove where it had the cat behind a refractory so it was mostly shielded from the flames.
The regency has a cat shield as well

Reactions: jotulf45v2
Yea it does but it looks like it's pretry close to the cat. With the reburn pipes lit, the flames easily travel up to the shield and I don't think it would be hard for some.of the flame to get through to the cat.
Arr they still doing that after the restrictor?

Arr they still doing that after the restrictor?
The flames from the fire don't reach the shield anymore but from what I understand, the air tubes on the top of the stove are meant to light up and reburn the gases when it gets hot enough. When that happens, the natural path for the flame is directly towards the shield. Must be made that way but it's weird.