How to make more effecient?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SONOCATIVO

Nov 1, 2014
Missouri
I have an old Schrader and was wondering what I can do to make it burn more efficiently? It has firebrick lining, will be attached to 8" pipe all the way out. Should I install a damper in the flue pipe? Should I place a piece of sheet metal to deflect the flames as it would go straight up the pipe basically? it has 2 screw open/close type dampers on the front with some sort of air wash on the back of the doors where the air will come in ...just wondering what to do for max heat and burn times for now, I hope to upgrade to a new unit by next season.

I think you should definitely have a damper in the pipe . That is how you control the fire. Something else I am trying this year is barometric dampers along with manual. I have a Dutch west cat stove in my basement and a 1940's majestic coal /wood kitchen stove in my upstairs dining room/ kitchen area. The stove in the basement is very efficient in my opinion but the cook stove is not. If the winds howl , the stove will spike up in temperature and get too hot and burn up all of the wood/ coal fire quickly. A friend of mine told me to put a barometric damper on. He said it would eliminate the problem. Instead of the wind gusts sucking air thru the stove, it sucks thru the barometric damper
I put 1 in the pipe this fall. So far so good. I shouldn't light the cook stove until the temp outside gets below 20 f..or the windows and doors will be open. But I did use it a few days this fall. The fire seemed to burn slow and steady. I think its working..The polar vortex is coming ...get ready.!!

I need to get my wood pile moved into the shed before the rain this weekend... Hopefully have the stove hooked up in 2 weeks when I get all the pipes.
Ive had some tell me no damper to just use the front vents to control the burn, but Ive never used this stove nor have I ever used one without a damper in the pipe. My buddy has some high effeciency wood stove and it doesnt have a damper in the pipe

My cat stove does not have one in the pipe either , but you said you have an older stove. If you are looking to save on wood and heat instead of it going up the pipe a damper could be a cheap fix to your issue. Jmo

Reactions: SONOCATIVO
My cat stove does not have one in the pipe either , but you said you have an older stove. If you are looking to save on wood and heat instead of it going up the pipe a damper could be a cheap fix to your issue. Jmo
Yes I believe that, as I bought one of those 55 gallon barrel stove kits and the damper worked great on it and would basically be the same concept of a non-efficient stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.