How to move a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Hey everyone, I apologize if this belongs in DIY.

I need to move my stove and hearth pad over about a foot. The stove is obviously heavy but the hearth pad is a 3.5x3.5 foot solid piece of flag stone that is 2 inches thick. This is on top of a tile floor that I don’t wish to gouge up.

I originally moved the pad in before the stove came with the help of two other people. Now that it has a stove on top of it it’s more complicated.

Any tricks out there?

You can usually rent these at any rental center or if you have local UHaul facility they have them for rent. Not worth buying.

And, even more important, a few beers and a pizza for your friends!

Reactions: logfarmer
I moved my osburn outside by myself.i just slid it onto a piece of carpet .

Get 3-4 friends, beer and pizza. In this order ... Undo and remove the stove connector pipe. Put some cardboard down on the floor. With friends, lift and move the stove to the cardboard. With friends, lift and move the stone hearth over a foot. Now put the stove back on the hearth. Connect the stove pipe. Have beer and pizza while cleaning up the area.

Get 3-4 friends, beer and pizza. In this order ... Undo and remove the stove connector pipe. Put some cardboard down on the floor. With friends, lift and move the stove to the cardboard. With friends, lift and move the stone hearth over a foot. Now put the stove back on the hearth. Connect the stove pipe. Have beer and pizza while cleaning up the area.

What he said !

But....You let the pizza go cold and the beer go warm? You have some good friends, helping you for warm beer and cold pizza ;)

Beer needs to be cold at all times....Now I think you could also use a sturdy drop cloth maybe and slide it out of the way after you disconnect it with a few friends...I think it would work and cardboard is good too...clancey

That's why refrigerators were invented.
What he said !

But....You let the pizza go cold and the beer go warm? You have some good friends, helping you for warm beer and cold pizza ;)
Trust me I have learned that serving beer ahead of time can affect both safety and the action plan. Keep the beer cold in the fridge until the job is done. If the connector pipe is already removed, then this is a 15 minute job with the crew. The connector can be put back on later.

Reactions: stoveliker
Lifting straps and a couple people for the stove. Also any dolly and a couple ratchet straps will do the trick to get it moved.