How to: Photos of through-the wall class A chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
Pics of the install of my stove in the basement. The pipe is Simpson DuraTech and DVL.
I won't be enclosing the class A unless I get a smaller window. It seems to be drafting well so far and was pretty clean inside after a couple weeks burning.
I wish I had rounded the eave cutout so I would have intruded less on the roof valley flashing.
I could have avoided the roof valley by moving the chimney to the left, extended the horizontal run along the left wall, and going up through that eave, but
the idea came too late and the longer horizontal run probably would have decreased my draft and been a creosote factory.
Comments, questions, or suggestions welcome. Thanks to all here for answering questions along the way. You guys are great and I'll do my best to contribute to this great resource.

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/BrianVT16/Chimney/?albumview=grid

I fixed the link. Sorry 'bout that.

looks good. glad to see you used double walled pipe inside.

I suppose I could have used single wall below the elbow. It would release a little more heat into the room but I wonder if it might hinder my draft.
My draft has been good so far so I may try it some day.

You should be a hand model Brian. :p Looks professional to me. More attention to detail than an installer would do.
Will you do a little dig out @ your base tee for cleaning purposes?
N of 60

north of 60 said:
You should be a hand model Brian. :p Looks professional to me. More attention to detail than an installer would do.
Will you do a little dig out @ your base tee for cleaning purposes?

I clean it from the top so I'm not going to dig a hole that might collect water and leach it into my basement.
Hand model !?!? I chew my fingernails and my left hand has 2 stubbies from a table saw accident ! LOL !

Status
Not open for further replies.