How to prepare this hearth for tile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcray

Jan 8, 2023
ohio
I am installing a Vermont Castings Encore in front of my fireplace. I needed to remove the mantel and surround to comply with clearances. When I removed the marble hearth for replacement, I discovered this mortar bed. I plan on tiling the surround and hearth. In order to prepare it for tile should I simply add mortar to level it and apply tile directly to the level surface? I've read that placing cement board would be redundant and that cement board shouldn't be secured to mortar??

Also, the stove will fit on the existing hearth area. What are your thoughts of having a hearth slab that is portable and placed during the months of stove use in order to have the hearth area 16" in front of the stove door? It is a medium sized room and I would prefer to have the extra floor space available for the other 3 seasons.

Thank you

IMG_2907.jpg IMG_2908.jpg