How to REALLY clean an Acc52I? Small flame issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Accentra52i

Oct 18, 2017
Connecticut
Good evening,

First off, let me say I've been perusing this forum since April of 2015, when I first got my Acc52I, and this site has been helpful.

However, I have yet to find a guide that REALLY explains what EXACTLY has to be done to clean this stove out through and through.

I've looked through the manual, http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/ACC52i_O.pdf

and it's very informative, and I've watched the video,

but it's missing things.

I keep reading about a flue on the left side of the insert(I'm assuming the left is when looking at the insert) that needs to be cleared out, but I can't find any information on this besides words in this forum.

I have also read that a temperature probe is next to the fines box (on the right side, looking at stove) that has to be taken out and cleaned? But the manual/video doesn't show this at all, or I flat out missed it.

I have taken the cover out that guards the blower motor, and stuck a vacuum cleaner up there and removed some soot/ash(not sure what the accurate term is here), but that's ALL I have done as far as air flow restriction(which I think is my issue).

I will describe what I did clean:

Removed door, ash pan, that piece that is on top of the fire box, the middle compass insert that sits on top of that, the two large plates on either side, the piece under the firebox with the two wing nuts, the piece that sits below the ash catcher(runs along the bottom), the blower motor cover, and cleaned and vacuumed all that, and also the fines box, and like I said, the vacuum cleaner into the hole that is above the blower motor.

Have not touched the "flue on the left side", or the temperature probe on the right side.

Can someone please let me know how to attend to these items and whatever else I have missed?

The help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time.

The ESP(exhaust temperature probe)is actually in the exhaust. If you look again at the back of the stove you will see red wire that goes to the exhaust stub. There is a hole in the stub which is for the ESP. You’ll see a little hex screw. Remove and pull back the esp. clean it and reinstall. If the 52 is anything like the accentra then it should have 2 exhaust ports to clean. You should see both inside the stove once you’ve removed the innards. Bottom right and bottom left. The left side is the tough one because you really have to force the brush in there to make it past the 90 def at the back of the stove. Be gentle working around the ESP. You damage that and you’ll drive yourself bonkers trying to figure out what up

The ESP(exhaust temperature probe)is actually in the exhaust. If you look again at the back of the stove you will see red wire that goes to the exhaust stub. There is a hole in the stub which is for the ESP. You’ll see a little hex screw. Remove and pull back the esp. clean it and reinstall. If the 52 is anything like the accentra then it should have 2 exhaust ports to clean. You should see both inside the stove once you’ve removed the innards. Bottom right and bottom left. The left side is the tough one because you really have to force the brush in there to make it past the 90 def at the back of the stove. Be gentle working around the ESP. You damage that and you’ll drive yourself bonkers trying to figure out what up

Thank you, I appreciate the reply and information.

I'm a bit confused though, you said "if the 52 is anything like the accentra".

It says ACC52i on the stove, which I am assuming is an Accentra 52i...?

You are correct. Previous model was ACC40i. Basically the same stove. Yours just has a bit more oomph.

There’s also some other vids on YouTube.