How to replace BIS 1.2 Grate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don K.

Feb 18, 2021
Minnesota
We just purchased a house with a BIS 1.2. The grate is gone in the middle due to overheating it looks like. I ordered a new grate online but I am wondering how to install it. It has 2 tabs on either end on the back which need to go through the sides so it hinges up when you lift it to take out the ash pan. Is it as simple as removing the side refractory panels to insert the tabs through the sides?? Thanks for your help.

You have likely replaced by now, but in case not, I am was in a similar situation by inheriting a unit with house purchase.
Our grate was so bad it had warped that it could not be removed unless the back came out first. Procedure was to remove top baffle, remove 2 screws on each side to remove side refractory bricks, then remove back one. In my case the back was cracked is several places, so ordered that part at the same time. I was able to reuse side bricks as this stuff is expensive in Canada at $210 a piece, Once it was back in place and wife did a remarkable job on the doors and I redid the hearth, it looks very nice now. I will post a pic soon.

Reactions: begreen
You have likely replaced by now, but in case not, I am was in a similar situation by inheriting a unit with house purchase.
Our grate was so bad it had warped that it could not be removed unless the back came out first. Procedure was to remove top baffle, remove 2 screws on each side to remove side refractory bricks, then remove back one. In my case the back was cracked is several places, so ordered that part at the same time. I was able to reuse side bricks as this stuff is expensive in Canada at $210 a piece, Once it was back in place and wife did a remarkable job on the doors and I redid the hearth, it looks very nice now. I will post a pic soon.
Can you please post pics of what you did. I have a home in WA that needs the grate to be replace, but my tenants can't seem to remove the old grate because of the ears protruding on each side. Please help. I thought it would be as easy as pulling the grate out, maybe tilting it diagonally and pulling it forward, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. I was hoping to buy the grate and mail it to the property for an easy swap.

Fireplace grate 2_102520.jpg Fireplace grate 1_102520.jpg