How to replace cat on dutchwest stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobaccogrower

Jan 9, 2010
Suffield Ct
I'm up at my buddy's cabin right now loading his stove and realized its a cat stove! After loading it up and getting a good char going then closing the bypass the flames go lazy even with air wide open. There is a small knob that supply's air to the cat(I think) that doesn't do a thing. Most we can get is 5-600 on the cat probe.

My guess is the cat is shot. It doesn't glow on a stuffed box and he always has a smokey stack

It looks like all that needs to be done is remove the 4 bolts holding the top on to get to the cat. Is this correct? Where is the best place to get a replacement cat? Also, is there anything else that should be looked at while its opened up?

I posted this from my phone so I apologize if this post is jumbled. Thanks in advance!

The small knob is to supply air to the cat for hotter burns. On low overnight burns keep it closed. EBL could be right the cat could be clogged and also check that the bypass damper gasket is present and seals when the bypass is closed. If you need a new cat after trying to clean it I suggest http://store.woodstove.com/home.php?cat=265 .. You can't beat their price on the 6" S/S cat! Oh and I think the top just bolts onto that stove unless it's an old CDW then you just lift the cooktop on that one..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.