How to run a Blaze King...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aansorge

Minister of Fire
Aug 12, 2011
Southern Minnesota
I have my Blaze King King up and running and it is truly amazing. I loaded the cold stove at 8 am with cardboard, paper and about 6 small splits or so stacked with lots of air space to get the thing up and running. I figured I'd add some wood in an hour or so then let it sit. I didn't need to add a thing!

The sucker is still going and it is 12 hours later. This on a cold start! It was 41 this morning and the house started at 66. The day did warm up to the 60's today but is already down in the mid to low 50's. The house has been between 83 and 77 all day. All this on a little load in a cold stove. These Blaze Kings are amazing in the shoulder season.

Despite how well it seems to be doing, I would like some tips on how to best run the stove under various conditions.

1. How to run when it is shoulder season. Should the air be turned down so that the cat doesn't glow but the thermometer is still in the active zone? How close to the inactive zone can you run and not clog the cat? Should the fire look completely dead?

2. Medium heat - I think I may be ok here...get the stove going...get the cat glowing....turn down the thermostat to the point where there are not flames but a glowing cat.

3. High Heat - If you want big output what do you do? Do #2 but just have the fans wide open or do you up the thermostat to where the flames are active? Will active flames damage the cat (flame impingement)?

Last edited:
Don't pay any attention to the cat, It doesn't have to be glowing to be active. Pay attention to the cat probe thermometer, if it says active, then It is! No flames is completely normal.
They are very impressive and I can't wait to get back into the Bk family!

Reactions: alforit
1. How to run when it is shoulder season. Should the air be turned down so that the cat doesn't glow but the thermometer is still in the active zone? How close to the inactive zone can you run and not clog the cat? Should the fire look completely dead?

Run the t-stat where you need it to keep the house at your desired temp. No right or wrong place for it to be. Don't worry about the cat glowing all the time it is still working even if it's not glowing if it's in the active range. During the shoulder season type burns my fires will typically look "dead".

2. Medium heat - I think I may be ok here...get the stove going...get the cat glowing....turn down the thermostat to the point where there are not flames but a glowing cat.

Don't worry about the cat glowing, run the t-stat where you want it to stay warm. After my stove is turned down no matter how cold it is outside I very rarely have flames, the coals may glow a little more than on a low burn but that's about it.

3. High Heat - If you want big output what do you do? Do #2 but just have the fans wide open or do you up the thermostat to where the flames are active? Will active flames damage the cat (flame impingement)?

Very rarely will you have flames after the stove is at your desired output setting. I only have flames when the stove is coming up to temp. After the t-stat is turned to my desired setting it's usually lights out until I reload. Some times if the stove is set around "2" I'll get some occasional flare up/wispy type flames that come and go.

Agree with everyone else. Once the cat lights off at the start of the cycle, don't worry about it. No matter what you do it won't go 'out' till the wood is exhausted, so long as you have dry wood.

Staring at a hot dark box is the price of using a cat ;)

I prefer looking at fire...

I can have some flame in the box if I want but if I'm warm and the stove is set for a while, I run it pretty low, which means no flame. I don't sit over there looking at the stove as a general rule; I'm over here looking at pics of firewood and stoves. ;lol

Look at all the flame you like but if I were you, I would keep stacking wood if you want to keep enjoying those non-cat flames. Your wood will be gone before you know it. ==c

I used to say that when I had a non cat. "If I'm going to do all this work I'm going to be able to watch a fire show" "Those Blaze Kings are ugly if I had a basement install I'd have one" It went on and on. I have an "ugly" Blaze King in my family room and couldn't be happier. I only wish I would've known about them when I purchased my first stove. ;lol

I used to say that when I had a non cat. "If I'm going to do all this work I'm going to be able to watch a fire show" "Those Blaze Kings are ugly if I had a basement install I'd have one" It went on and on. I have an "ugly" Blaze King in my family room and couldn't be happier. I only wish I would've known about them when I purchased my first stove. ;lol
That's why I have 2 stoves and a fireplace! I love watching the fire! And I'm a pyro.:cool:

That's why I have two open fireplaces in addition to the cat stove. When I want the ambiance of a flame nothing beats a real fireplace with nothing but a screen between you and the fire.

I understand fellows, I only heat with wood in one zone so it works well for me.....
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Woody, what is that object pictured in your avatar? Someone at work asked me and I don't have the answer.....thanks.
Also I don't seem to be going through a ton of wood, but I plan to keep track of it this year.
That's 1 split in that pic of mine....thAnks

Well I do have my Enerzone when I want to see fire! I'll run it during jan. and Feb. and any other time the spirit moves me. It has a sloped firebox like the new Woodstock for a beautiful fire. Still loading more than once a day is so...ridiculous! JK

Well if you have the BK King you
1) load 100lbs of wood into stove
2) set tstat and go watch tv,eat,work etc
24 hours later:
1)load and repeat step 2

Well if you have the BK King you
1) load 100lbs of wood into stove
2) set tstat and go watch tv,eat,work etc
24 hours later:
1)load and repeat step 2

WG: I do have a BK and I weighed a full load. It's a princess but it only took 43 lbs of wood to fill it full, tight, to the top. Yes, it burned 24 hours and could have gone 30 as the spec sheet says. But you know that, you've got one.

aans: The glowing or not glowing of the cat is only a curiosity. You do not use this information when making any decisions regarding the operation of the stove. It is fun to see it glow.

When trying to burn these things hot they will smoke. I don't know how to burn it really hot since medium is all I've ever needed with fans on. Running it hard is not as efficient or clean. Not sure how to make this thing go to 800.

There is a low stat setting that is unique to your stove and perhaps also the season. Under a certain setting and the dang cat will stall and your probe will go to inactive, smoke out the stack, etc. Once you find your "lowest" stat setting plan on leaving it there unless it is really cold and you need more power. Most of the time you will run these things on low.

There is a low stat setting that is unique to your stove and perhaps also the season. Under a certain setting and the dang cat will stall and your probe will go to inactive, smoke out the stack, etc. Once you find your "lowest" stat setting plan on leaving it there unless it is really cold and you need more power. Most of the time you will run these things on low.

By this do you mean every stove is different and doesn't change or different for every load? just started burning again and I stalled it out. it was set about 1 or 1.25. where do people run their bk's for the longest burn times? I know there's tons of variables with wood type, moister, split size, loading ect. but just curious.

also thinking of how to flip the dial 90 deg to face forward and get a new sticker with more marks like 1-9.

By this do you mean every stove is different and doesn't change or different for every load? just started burning again and I stalled it out. it was set about 1 or 1.25. where do people run their bk's for the longest burn times? I know there's tons of variables with wood type, moister, split size, loading ect. but just curious.

Probably not much difference between stoves, but every setup is different. After some time, I figured out where the thermostat needs to be for given weather conditions. In that aspect, performance is very repaetable.

I have a hard time with the 'short, hot fire to take the chill out'. I always end up with a cool, smoky fire after a short time. Not enough there to keep the cat active. A good load leaves plenty of smoke for the cat, and I can burn for a really long time with the thermostat closed all the way. It takes a little fussing around, getting the load good and charred, etc, but once it is settled in, I don't touch it for a day or two.

Decent draft and really dry wood are most definitely key for the long, low burn.

I get a lot of heat when I give it enough air for some wispy flame coming off the wood, and big bursts of flame as the gases build up and ignite off the cat. That seems to make the cleanest, most efficient hot burn for me.

Last edited:
Jeff T....you sometimes turns the thermostat all the way down? You mean until it stops turning? It'll keep the cat active?

Jeff T....you sometimes turns the thermostat all the way down? You mean until it stops turning? It'll keep the cat active?

I consider all the way down to be around the 12 o'clock position(straight up). If the wood and draft is good just about all the fuel should be consumed before the cat goes inactive. I usually run mine anywhere from 1 1/2-1 3/4 for almost any weather condition and heat the house fine, fan or no fan is used to regulate output.

For example the stove can be run on 1 3/4 when it's 50* outside and not over heat the house while the same 1 3/4 setting still works when it's 20* outside to heat the house. The cooler weather makes the chimney draw harder which in turn pulls more air through the stove. I'm not sure if others experience the same thing but after two seasons this has been pretty consistent.

Also when your stove is stone cold turn the t-stat down from high to low. Listen for the flapper close,(it will be a metallic click) this will probably happen somewhere around 1, turning the t-stat down any lower than that isn't going to make much difference. As the stove heats up that "click" will be heard at a higher t-stat setting.

Reactions: jeff_t

Yes, mine will. Usually, though, I load it up at night, when the house is cool. I burn it fairly hot for an hour or two, and then shut it down. Sometimes I'll kick it back up for a while in the mornng, then turn it down for the day, then back up in the evening. On low, the stove top will run 250-300 most of the time.

You'll figure out what works for you. Everything Rick said is spot on. I normally run it 1.75-2 for normal heating. I shoot for 12 hour cycles in the winter, and 24 in the shoulders. It's just easier that way.

I have my Blaze King King up and running and it is truly amazing. I loaded the cold stove at 8 am with cardboard, paper and about 6 small splits or so stacked with lots of air space to get the thing up and running.

I would be careful with the cardboard. I saw some people here who had unburned cardboard going up the flue and clogging the screen of the chimney cap potentially setting of a chimney fire. In addition, cardboard usually contains glue which may not be that good for your cat. As far as I know any colored paper should also be avoided in a cat stove.

By this do you mean every stove is different and doesn't change or different for every load? just started burning again and I stalled it out. it was set about 1 or 1.25. where do people run their bk's for the longest burn times?

It's been a long summer and I forget some of the details. These BKs run such that you don't mess them very much, very simple and easily forgotten.

For example the stove can be run on 1 3/4 when it's 50* outside and not over heat the house while the same 1 3/4 setting still works when it's 20* outside to heat the house. The cooler weather makes the chimney draw harder which in turn pulls more air through the stove. I'm not sure if others experience the same thing but after two seasons this has been pretty consistent.

This is the real deal. Burning 24/7 you find that low setting and the stove just does the rest. Not sure why as the stat is supposed to work on temperature of the firebox. It could be that the stat is mostly closed at this low setting with occasional puffs of air to maintain cat light off. It could be that the stat also uses ambient room air temp in some fashion.

There are insufficient marks on the stat dial but as I recall, I aim for the "o" of normal for the typical, all winter, cruise setting which corresponds with about 1.75 as rdust says. Note that the king and the princess insert have entirely different stat setups so you can't directly compare. The insert doesn't even have numbers!

The manual says anything between 1-3 is fine but the stat dial has a gold colored range. I've only ever had to go to the midway point with the fans on to heat the place in single digit outside temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.