How to run your pellet stove wide open!? Harman stove but probably applies to others

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok, thanks for all the posts. From what I understand, if I want the fastest "get my stove to its max output" I'm hearing it doesn't matter a lot whether its in room or stove temp. Just high temp, high distribution fan, feed rate 4. That's max my Harman can likely do to quickly get to maximum heating. (doubt I'm really coming close to beating up my stove and I won't keep it there)

As a matter of fact, it sounds like both the room temp and stove temp do the same thing - both seek a target temperature.
  • Room temp seeks a temperature measured in degrees that corresponds to the temp of my room which I can use independent thermometers to see and readily understand.
  • Stove temp seeks a temperature measured in degrees that corresponds to the temp of my esp probe - which doesn't have much to do with the temp of my room and is much harder to understand :). Sounds like less varying of things in this mode - keep 'er where you set 'er.
No poster has said that either stove or room temp is quicker to get the stove hot - really sounds like I can go either way - crank it to high on the left dial (temp/stove temp num) and crank the fan up. That's quickest way - true story?

There is an advantage in setting the room temperature to the value you want is that if you get distracted or leave the area the stove will modulate its high burn rate once it approaches the temperature you actually want rather than blast right by and overheat the place. No need to set Room temp at 80*F if you only want the room at 72*F. It won't get there any quicker.

YMMV,

Hugh

That is pretty much correct. The ESP will not let the stove overfire. Once it hits max temp it will cut feed back regardless of what you have it set at.

Ok, thanks for all the posts. From what I understand, if I want the fastest "get my stove to its max output" I'm hearing it doesn't matter a lot whether its in room or stove temp. Just high temp, high distribution fan, feed rate 4. That's max my Harman can likely do to quickly get to maximum heating. (doubt I'm really coming close to beating up my stove and I won't keep it there)

As a matter of fact, it sounds like both the room temp and stove temp do the same thing - both seek a target temperature.
  • Room temp seeks a temperature measured in degrees that corresponds to the temp of my room which I can use independent thermometers to see and readily understand.
  • Stove temp seeks a temperature measured in degrees that corresponds to the temp of my esp probe - which doesn't have much to do with the temp of my room and is much harder to understand :). Sounds like less varying of things in this mode - keep 'er where you set 'er.
No poster has said that either stove or room temp is quicker to get the stove hot - really sounds like I can go either way - crank it to high on the left dial (temp/stove temp num) and crank the fan up. That's quickest way - true story?

Yes, but if you keep it on Stove temp mode, your house will be hot on warm days and cold on cold days. Unless you constantly adjust the dial based on outdoor temperature.

Setting Room temp once will give you the temperature you want all the time.

Keep in mid that, while there are a lot of Harman owners on here, Harman's represent a very small percentage of all the units sold and in use. IOW, not everyone has one. I don't for sure.

You can most certainly warp the pot on a P68, running 'Ludicrous Speed'...

Dan
I read you comment and immediately thought of my drones. My EVO has a Ludicrous mode and so does my DJI. When you want to go balls to the wall with no crash avoidance.... :p

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Sidecar you technically can't over heat a Harman because it's output is limited by the exhaust sensing probe (ESP). It has no snap discs in it to control distribution fan cycling or hi temp shutdown. This is all controlled by the ESP.
I don't know exactly what the original poster is after but from my experience a P series can run at maximum output in any mode. It depends on where you set the controls. If your running room temp auto and have the temp set to 85 and the feed rate set to 4 and the room temp is only 70 the stove will run at close to maximum output till the room reaches its intended temperature. If the ESP senses the exhaust temperature getting to hot it will throttle the feed rate back to compensate. As the room temperature gets close to the thermostat setting it will also throttle back for a "Soft" shutdown. In this cold weather my stove is running at a feed rate of 3 1/2 or 4 and when it starts up it will run very close to maximum for a few minutes until the ESP temp reaches maximum and then it will throttle back a little and run until the thermostat puts it in shutdown mode.
Ron

Try switching to an oilseed like soybeans.... mix frugally however. Soybeans can do bad things to any biomass stove...

The manufacturer doesn't recommend anything but pellets or a pellet corn combination. Not sure how the ESP would handle the oil in the seed. If the oil burns off too fast it may exceed the control boards parameters way to quickly and yes then bad things will probably happen.
Ron

The manufacturer doesn't recommend anything but pellets or a pellet corn combination. Not sure how the ESP would handle the oil in the seed. If the oil burns off too fast it may exceed the control boards parameters way to quickly and yes then bad things will probably happen.
Ron
Was a tongue in cheek comment. All builders caution against using oil seed for fuel. Not sayin I haven't tried it because I have but very sparingly, stuff burns HOT and I bet it would euchre your ESP anyway. remember, I don't have one....