How to stop a run away fire...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2007
South Coast, MA
I've read the best thing to do to stop a run away fire is to close the door, shut down the air control or damper and monitor it from there. Try to block any air intakes too...

Would adding a wet split or two help? I have some splits that sit on top of the tarps on my wood piles and they are always wet, because the water pools up on the tarp and the wood sits in the water. I have no intention of burning these splits this year, but in the case of a run away fire would adding 1 or 2 of these helps reduce the temp of the stove by burning off the water?

Just a thought...

Hi Clyde,
I would shut down any air control knobs on the unit completely, close the damper on the stove pipe completely,(if equipped), and by NO Means would I consider opening the door.
Hopefully the fire will slow down or suffocate with the lack of incomming air and burn down or go out.
I also would say a couple of "The Lord's Prayer", (If your a praying individual),in hopes that no creosote buildup in your chimney ignites.
I have been there and done that and believe me it is a scary, heart pounding exprience.
John

I keep a box fan in the next room. If the temp approaches 600 degrees (considered overfire threshold according to my HS manual), I put the box fan 3-4 feet away and angle it so that it partly blows into the stove. Run it on med or high for 5 minutes and see if your temp goes down, then adjust accordingly.

I am 2 for 2 with this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.