Q&A How to use existing chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

A local dealer of Dura-Vent pipe told us that we needed to replace the chimney, top to bottom, at a price of approximately $700 so that we could use a Dura-Vent support box through the tile.

However, the existing chimney pipe is in good shape, is triple-wall, but not sealed like the Dura-Vent. It appears to be a 8" inner pipe, surrounded by a 10" and then a 12" pipe. The 12" pipe goes directly through the 1st floor flooring and ceiling and into the attic with no clearance, the pipe fits tight into the cut holes. The pipe is well supported, and is currently hanging on it's own with no stove beneath it. As far as I know, it has been in place for at least as long as the house has stood -- since 1972. The Dura-Vent dealer said it sounded like something the builder had made on-site.

Should I even be using the existing chimney pipe, or should I save up and replace the whole shooting match?

Answer:

The setup is almost surely not up to current code or standards. I'd replace it if it were mine. This is not to say that it is not safe...but there is NO chimney I am aware of that does not have at least 2" of clearance to combustibles. In addition, pipe does not hang, but is always supported with a matching support piece. 1972 was before many of the modern standards were put into place. Save your $$$ and go for the Dura-Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.