How to wire failed sump pump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
My sum pump did not work after a year sitting outside , the wire going to water level trigger have failed. It was working only when touching, readjusting the wire.
I cut the wire and want to bypass the trigger, thinking it’s just connecting wires going to it . But nothing works, triggering fuses. What am I doing wrong ?

How to wire failed sump pump? How to wire failed sump pump?

just buy a new one they are cheap.. you have now created a electrocution hazard their is a reason the electrical is all sealed. Also if that causes any damage to your home you rinsurance will not cover you is this is what caused the issue since you modified it..

That doesn't look so good. To me the alternatives seem to be
A) buy a new one, on account of an automatic sump pump being one of those things you just want to be sure it works, instead of testing out your latest bricolage.
B) Get a big bucket, find a younger person (got any kids?) with a strong heart, and wire away and give it a whirl. Also, flood insurance.