How warm on cold night?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snaple4

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2017
AR
Was fiddling with the tv and realized it felt nice but could tell it was cold outside. Made me wonder how everyone else keeps their stove room on their colder nights. We sometimes get into the teens or lower but our normal cold night is in the 20’s-low 30’s.

My stove is in the living room at around 520 sqft. Open to kitchen and dining room. 8ft ceilings. The thermostat is on the wall between kitchen and living room. This is with a mix of dry and wet wood.

Bedrooms, with their heater kicking on and off, is about 70. When my wife is gone the stove will keep the bedrooms in the mid 60’s with heat off and fan blowing down hallway.

Attachments

• B45A59A0-640C-41B4-AA69-D364ACFB7458.jpeg
    B45A59A0-640C-41B4-AA69-D364ACFB7458.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 124
When it's cold I'm usually 70-73 when I'm home. I usually wake up/come home to 63-66

Having a cold spell in Wisconsin wifes alone at cabin keeping it warm, she turns the blaze king down at night. Checked the temp it’s 73 inside and -17 below zero outside usually stays around 75

Reactions: Sloppy
Its 26df here right now. Upwards to eighty is what i normally peek at in the living room/dining and kitchen. These rooms are all open to each other. At this temp it keeps the bedrooms at mid 70s which is about perfect sleep mode for us.

When it's cold I'm usually 70-73 when I'm home. I usually wake up/come home to 63-66
SE Wisconsin, 10F last night.
Same temps here.
Bedrooms at night we try to keep in low 60s. Down comforters and heavy quilts means we're snug as a bug and sleep soundly. My daughter was over a few nights ago. She has one of those smart watch thingys with some kind of sleep monitor on it. Said that was the first rem sleep she'd gotten in 3wks (add a 3wk old new born to the mix). Happy campers all around.

Lower 70's in the house. Wife would like to warmer but then it feels like a dry sauna in the house ;)

Stove room is usually around 75-80, which puts the first floor at about 70.
The upstairs will stay 60-65, at that point but we usually set the thermostat at 66-67 and let the oil burner keep the temp steady while sleeping
If the house is empty with no wife and kids, just me, I'll shut down the burner and function solely off the stove...

Flush insert, full blast at 20F and below. Half red oak and half ash and the house maintained 70F with 10F outside last night.

I'm insulating myself with layers of clothing and letting the living room temp fall to 60 then putting only enough wood in my Nightwatch insert to get up to 68. This morning when I awoke minus 5 outdoors 58 living room 54 bedroom. Jan. 30 2019 was minus 28 outdoors bedroom was 48 . I biked to work. As they say in Siberia there's no bad weather only bad clothing.

Usually between 72-74F. Hotter than that can be uncomfortable, skin and sinus drying.

Usually between 72-74F. Hotter than that can be uncomfortable, skin and sinus drying.

I am lucky to have a house that has almost no air loss. Even when I get it up into the 80’s inside I don’t drop below 30. That is without making a soup or taking a shower. In my last house anything near 70 and we would have near low teen humidity levels. Though in the summer I have to run a dehumidifier 24-7 or I end up with excessively high levels...

I'm insulating myself with layers of clothing and letting the living room temp fall to 60 then putting only enough wood in my Nightwatch insert to get up to 68. This morning when I awoke minus 5 outdoors 58 living room 54 bedroom. Jan. 30 2019 was minus 28 outdoors bedroom was 48 . I biked to work. As they say in Siberia there's no bad weather only bad clothing.

That's nuts! I could understand doing that if oil or gas or whatever you heat with were expensive and you wanted to conserve. If you have a stove, I don't understand why you wouldn't have your house around 70.

I like the house about 74-75. The wife wants it a little warmer but once you get over 77-78 it is too much.

Reactions: Highbeam
Great Falls has had 60+inchs of snow so far this year. How do you keep the snow out of the house?

Who said we keep the snow the of the house? LOL Interesting though, the windows open are on the prevailing side. We dont really have a problem for some reason. However, the windows do get froze open.

Great Falls has had a lot. Over there though it comes and poof, its gone. Here, it comes and stays til April. But....we've had not more than an inch so far this year....very strange.

Reactions: Sawset
All comes down to what temp you are comfortable with. I like toasty living room(80-90) with a cool bedroom(60s). My house is big and the bedroom is on opposite side of house as the burner, so that swing is easy.

Reactions: heavy hammer
So why do wives set thermostat to keep house mid to high 70's in the winter but ratchet it downward in the summer to have house AC keep in high 60's? The answer is simple...

Happy wife, happy life.

We have an Englander 28-3500 add on furnace which is only plumbed into three HVAC registers. As a result, the living room, master bedroom, and kitchen are directly heated from the wood furnace. Right now it is 25*F outside and 70* in my living room (big vaulted ceiling room). It is 69* in my hallway/bedroom/kitchen.

This stove does a pretty incredible job of heating the entire house despite only having three HVAC registers.

Great Falls had a brutal winter last year and this year looks more of the same.

We've got pretty good at keeping the temp in the living room with the stove in the low 70s most of the time . . . with the exception of an overnight fire when the temps may dip down into the mid to high 60s. We don't really like the temps much higher than the low 70s as it gets a mite bit warm at those temps.

I have found that when the outside temps are on the "warmer" side, say in the 30s-50s, we're not reloading the stove as often and we aren't seeing as fast a temperature drop vs. when it goes down into the teens or the negative numbers.

If I get it above 74, I have to open the doors/windows and turn on the whole house fan to suck in cool air and get it back down, hahahah! Oh btw, don't close all the doors until you turn off the WHF, you wanna know how I know???? :)

Optimal stove room temp is 71, which puts the bedrooms at 68. Perfect temp. When bedrooms get over 70- its tough to sleep. I set my stat to turn on at 66 (located in bedroom)