How you are filling your new found free time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grizzerbear

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2019
SW Missoura
20200322_115028.jpg
While I was shoveling coals under this stump i got to wondering what the folks around hearth that have been laid off, lost their job, or under the many two week work restrictions going on that are keeping folks at home to slow the spread of the corona virus. Missouri hasn't been hit as hard as states like Washington, California, or New york...and thus our local government hasn't implemented the stay at home orders other than closing schools.....yet anyways. I'm a home body and can always find something to keep my mind at ease but I do have kids who have been cooped up so yesterday and today we have been burning this stump from a blow over last spring. What are all you folks doing out their to keep the sanity and it doesn't have to be firewood related.

Spending far too much morning time on the internet. Afternoons are yardwork and gardening. Lots to do. The rest of the time is spent staying connected with family, friends, and organizations and newly forming support systems for those in need.

Just had baby #4 and it unfortunately was a c-section. Wrangling the other children is a full time job! Maybe can sneak some time out bucking up logs or playing around with a wood lathe I got from a neighbor. My planned 2 week vacation is happening, but it's unpaid now :( I go back to work in 2 weeks, and possibly in 4 weeks may have 2 weeks off again, and so on and so forth. I get to file for unemployment at least during the furloughing.

Finishing up a bedroom set for the grand kids. Cribs to start, then change out the rails and they convert to full size later on. Three cribs, so far, in less than a year.

Attachments

• 0427191216.jpg
    0427191216.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 0402191743.jpg
    0402191743.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 0303191613.jpg
    0303191613.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 150
Its a great time of year in my area to get my wood supply built up. The snow is gone on my south facing slopes but the ground is still frozen and the trees have not leafed out. I have rigged a lot of logs out to my access road and am bucking them up as I go. My normal plan is bring the rounds home to split but the local roads are closed to big trucks during mud season. I am considering hauling my splitter over to where the roads are and getting a jump on splitting.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I don't pull the snowblower off until May... I spent the May 8th snowstorm in '88 or '89 working off built up detentions...

As for running, the closest I get to running is on the approach at the local bowling center (which is closed) due to ACL replacement last year. Honestly, I never took to running. Power walks are OK though depending on how the knee is feeling...

So far WI hasn't had a shelter in place order yet but my wife and I are homebodies anyways.

We've been getting a lot of yard prep done to prepare for planting some lilac bushes around the yard as well as getting a large section of the backyard ready for putting in some raised garden beds. A wide variety of veggies and flowers we started from seed are sprouting inside till it gets a bit warmer out.

I myself would be hitting the wood cutting hard if I had anything to cut or split. My neighbor across the street and his family has been going to town splitting wood yesterday and today. The tree service guys I utilize for logs probably aren't going to be coming around for awhile since the virus outbreak started. Hopefully their business makes it, they're good guys.

Is it sad to say that my daily activities are the same as they were before the closings and quarantines?
Not really. We're super busy with yard and garden work at this time of the year. Same every year in spring.

Garden work and more garden work. All my firewood has been taken care of for the next 3 years. Forty six chicks about to hatch in the incubator. Another 70 eggs going in after that. Finish off the third coop. Finish exterior window trim now that stucco is complete. Finish the decorative fencing at the front of the house.
Might not have a job to go back to for a while - changed the lock on my office because a couple of bosses wouldn't keep their social distance- they weren't very happy about it. Fortunately, the two bosses above them that approve and sign my cheque support me 100%. My time would be better spent at home for the next couple of months.

Reactions: Gearhead660
As this worsens it is looking more and more like missouri will be in a lockdown here soon. Many of the major cities are already taking the initiative.....KC, St. Lou, and this morning Branson. Springfield is about to. My employer said yesterday that if the governor shuts the state down then they will split our crew in half and one half working one week and the other the next on and off until this subsides. It's looking like I will have some extra time to get that 6 cord of wood relocated to another spot in the yard and carry on building fence.

I dropped two heavy leaning and dead B. Cherries on Saturday high pucker factor, one was laying on the other and that one was leaning over the yard. I got them cut and split almost a half cord (12' X 4' X 1.33') stack. Split like toothpicks, have to hit them with a MM but I believe they will be ready for this winter 2020/21. I am in manufacturing, and we are being called on for emergency die molds for ventilator components as well as some other "essential" machined/fabricated products. So I am one of the fortunate ones to still have a check coming, but the weekends are freed up! I like this thread!

Not really. We're super busy with yard and garden work at this time of the year. Same every year in spring.
Still too wet here to work on the garden. Getting things ready for spring/summer, and normal spring yard work.

View attachment 258454
While I was shoveling coals under this stump i got to wondering what the folks around hearth that have been laid off, lost their job, or under the many two week work restrictions going on that are keeping folks at home to slow the spread of the corona virus. Missouri hasn't been hit as hard as states like Washington, California, or New york...and thus our local government hasn't implemented the stay at home orders other than closing schools.....yet anyways. I'm a home body and can always find something to keep my mind at ease but I do have kids who have been cooped up so yesterday and today we have been burning this stump from a blow over last spring. What are all you folks doing out their to keep the sanity and it doesn't have to be firewood related.
We take our temps twice a day (good so far) the wife has been baking and cooking up a storm (I've gained 5 pounds) we've taken a few rides but most of our time is spent inside. I'll start cutting up some downed trees soon so that should help me lose part of the 5 pounds.

I've been checking in with my brother and sisters in the Syracuse area, so far they're good along with their kids.

Pulled the basement remodeling job out of mothballs. Plus since i work alone or with family on most of my other jobs no need to scale back .

We've got a stack of logs growing here. Took a break today for the weather. Hopefully we can get a few fences up and some bird coops made.

We don't really have new found free time, we're retired and isolated. It's pretty much business as usual. The biggest difference so far is the stress of knowing what's going on, from both the health perspective and economy. Missing baseball and hockey. Yesterday I started cleaning up the mess from splitting wood and pruning trees. I'm anxious for consistently nice weather and I can get out more and be physically busy.

the wife has been baking and cooking up a storm (I've gained 5 pounds)
Funny, my wife just text me saying she had bread in the oven. She's been fattening me up for the kill all winter it seems. Yea...I still need to shed my winter coat as well. If it quits raining I will be in good shape to get outside and get some stuff done and lose some weight also.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I'm anxious for consistently nice weather and I can get out more and be physically busy.

I hear ya there. The local station said after this morning's rain its the fifth wettest march on record. We are pretty isolated ourselves but I worry about my father more than anything else. He just had a knee replacement two weeks ago so we are trying to keep him isolated from everyone. Dont want him having to deal with the virus on top of trying to heal from surgery as well.