How you are filling your new found free time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Little project around the house: swapping out a lot more of the incandescent bulbs for LEDs. Prices have come down so much that there's no reason to wait until the bulbs burn out. Everywhere I look, there are more and more bulbs to change.

Funny, my wife just text me saying she had bread in the oven. She's been fattening me up for the kill all winter it seems. Yea...I still need to shed my winter coat as well. If it quits raining I will be in good shape to get outside and get some stuff done and lose some weight also.
I started baking a few months ago, but I have also made a few loaves of bread this past week. Sourdough from a starter that I began right before the social distancing "request". Once we restock on flour I'm going to make plenty of cookies.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I hear ya there. The local station said after this morning's rain its the fifth wettest march on record. We are pretty isolated ourselves but I worry about my father more than anything else. He just had a knee replacement two weeks ago so we are trying to keep him isolated from everyone. Dont want him having to deal with the virus on top of trying to heal from surgery as well.

Looks like severe thunderstorms coming later this week, it's that time of year. Our 13 year old granddaughter wanted to come and stay with us for a week, but with my wife's medical history her doctor said it would be best for her not to. It was very tough to tell her that. Hopefully your dad has a quick and uneventful recovery.

I started baking a few months ago, but I have also made a few loaves of bread this past week. Sourdough from a starter that I began right before the social distancing "request". Once we restock on flour I'm going to make plenty of cookies.

My wife took it up this past fall. She has stuck with white and wheat so far...which has turned out great and has been handy with bread being hard to find here recently. I hadn't even thought about sourdough but I do love that stuff. We have a bunch of zucchini in the freezer from last years garden for bread. She has been baking small loaves and then freezing them.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Looks like severe thunderstorms coming later this week, it's that time of year. Our 13 year old granddaughter wanted to come and stay with us for a week, but with my wife's medical history her doctor said it would be best for her not to. It was very tough to tell her that. Hopefully your dad has a quick and uneventful recovery.

Thanks bud...best wishes to you and yours.

Reactions: MoDoug
My wife took it up this past fall. She has stuck with white and wheat so far...which has turned out great and has been handy with bread being hard to find here recently. I hadn't even thought about sourdough but I do love that stuff. We have a bunch of zucchini in the freezer from last years garden for bread. She has been baking small loaves and then freezing them.
I am using mostly whole wheat flour. We also got a pasta press, so that has been exciting as well.

I Just found the best way to clean a pellet stove exhaust blower impeller blade using white aluminum oxide and a Trinity Trinco industrial blasting cabinet. :) It really gets that stubborn ash of the sides of the petals with just a little more blasting!!!
This is a Harman double paddle blade cleaning.

Attachments

• F049C0B7-CC76-4C7E-BEBD-F45A45E5A7B7.jpeg
    F049C0B7-CC76-4C7E-BEBD-F45A45E5A7B7.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 7206BA98-3B99-41B1-8D9D-D7AB82DDA75A.jpeg
    7206BA98-3B99-41B1-8D9D-D7AB82DDA75A.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 152
  • AA96BAC8-3D51-41DF-9A9A-CD4DA72C6108.jpeg
    AA96BAC8-3D51-41DF-9A9A-CD4DA72C6108.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
My sheetrock mud and tape job is all the entertainment I need. I keep looking at the water line trenches that settled over the winter. I need to blade and dress that up a little, but it will have to wait until after texture. It is probably too early in the spring for dirt work anyway. Rain is on its way.

My sheetrock mud and tape job is all the entertainment I need. I keep looking at the water line trenches that settled over the winter. I need to blade and dress that up a little, but it will have to wait until after texture. It is probably too early in the spring for dirt work anyway. Rain is on its way.
This warm weather has put a damper on my landscaping plans.

… I started baking a few months ago …

Yup! I always cooked a lot but never baked. Stopped consulting for a company here in MA at the end of 2006. Was thinking of another hobby to fill some time in early 2007, so I started baking.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I am using mostly whole wheat flour. We also got a pasta press, so that has been exciting as well.
That is a something we need here at the house....with two kids and another on the way we go through copious amounts of noodles lol. I actually am trying to work the kinks outta smoking deer meat. I would like to be able to fully process my wild game myself. I make my own hamburger now and jerky....but with some extra time off here in a week or two I may try to smoke a back strap.

The cat and I walked the property line yesterday picking up sticks and tossing them into the fire pit, made for a nice fire yesterday evening, got some fresh air and movement.
5C3B37A4-52E9-412B-9B6B-739F70CD1974.jpeg

Dropped two more trees last night, I think both were green ash( super wet soft soil) one rotted off just below soil level hung in another tree was a bear to get unhung. The other was almost completely lost inside a cocoon of Poison Ivy and leaning back into other EAB damaged trees. Successful evening both on the ground and I am at work the next day! I did have to get creative to drop the Ivy tangled tree, had to lift it about 1.5" to get it to go the way I wanted. Starting to work from home tomorrow... will be interesting.

I have a 6 month old that I can no longer send off to the baby sitter (even though his grandmothers would love to spend the day with him). And, as a teacher, I'm still needing to create lessons and support students. My wife is considered essential, so she's still going to work.

So I actually have less spare time that I did when i was going to work every day. :cool:

Starting today I'm rehabbing a rental house that the renter moved out of last week. We knew there were things that needed attention, but of course have found more... One bonus was I found hardwood floors under carpet upstairs and down! Needs rehab, but much more durable than carpet...

Today I finished up the sheetrock mudding. I plan on priming on Saturday, but know that as I start masking things off I will notice spots where I could have done better. That means Saturday will be spent masking and touching up. Sunday will be actual priming day. It took over 2500' of tape, 20 boxes of mud, and 24 metal corners. It actually looks pretty good. I am pleased

The poco came out last week and heated up the 400 amp meter base, so I went ahead and heated up the single outlet circuits. This gives me inside power, allowing me to quit running extension cords through the windows.

That's a lot of mudding MTY!

My rehab has just drywall/plaster repairs. I'd much rather work on new stuff than try to blend drywall into textured plaster... Hardwood floors are a no go unfortunately, found evidence of a previous house fire, etc, etc. Murphy's Law always applies because we're related to some Murphy's! ;lol

This one is huge for my wife's family. We are going to rent it to her youngest sister & family who are finally moving back to WI! They're stuck in the catch 22 "can't hire you if you don't live here/can't rent to you if you don't have a job" cycle in their search here...

Today I finished up the sheetrock mudding.
"How you are filling your new found free time."

What free time? Since i work on empty properties im still working. Im sheltering in place at work alone or with my kids. Did more mudding than usual as my drywall guy is temporarily off . Getting good at it again.

What the heck is free time? We're busier than ever at work and home isnt all that slow either.