How you are filling your new found free time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well my "time off" is coming to an end Monday.

Going back to work full time but in a different department and I feel terrible about bumping another employee to do it but my wife has been waiting 6 weeks for an unemployment check with no pay date in sight.

It's all hopefully temporary and I should be back to my normal job by the end of May.

my wife has been waiting 6 weeks for an unemployment check with no pay date in sight.
Could be awhile. Unemployment websites are swamped and bogged down nationwide. I suspect they will eventually get to everyone but it will take time. I think the govt would have been better off instead of padding check amounts that no one has yet to benefit from to offer extensions and help with roll out. Our state wesite is still collecting data and not yet processing claims for new categories of unemployed.

Could be awhile. Unemployment websites are swamped and bogged down nationwide. I suspect they will eventually get to everyone but it will take time. I think the govt would have been better off instead of padding check amounts that no one has yet to benefit from to offer extensions and help with roll out. Our state wesite is still collecting data and not yet processing claims for new categories of unemployed.

Yea it's a crap show for sure. It took about 2 hours to get through to them the other day. She was fired 3/24 for "attitude" and they didn't send out the paperwork for her employer until she contacted them 4/28.

Turns out attitude is apparently asking her employer what safety steps they were going to institute is termination worthy with no warnings.

Turns out attitude is apparently asking her employer what safety steps they were going to institute is termination worthy with no warnings.
Id fight it, if they try to stop her from collecting. No way they would show up at a hearing or even schedule one now. Should be a shoe in.

My free time is not new found, more like hard-earned, but I am making the best of it with gardening, walks and painting. This lil' fox is just about done.
fox-painting.jpg

I dont think I could paint something that well even if I was painting by numbers! I can make barn doors look bad!

Reactions: johneh and begreen
I am winding down on the drywall mudding, and it looks nice. The decking material is showing up tomorrow. It will be 100 feet by seven feet wrapped around below the 7 foot eves. It will come out square, plumb and pleasing to the eye. So, I do have some talent. However, if I tried to paint something like that fox it would look like a bomb went off in a paint store.

Reactions: begreen
Thanks. My mud work is pathetic. It looks like pigs under a blanket.

Last edited:
One day whilst walking behind a rather rotund woman, my buddy remarked, "That looks like two pigs fighting in a gunny sack."
I am tempted not to texture. There are no sins to hide. Tomorrow we are fencing the garden. 32X48 Everything is in pots, and we bring it in each night as frost does not stop until mid June.

I appreciate a nice smooth-wall job. You get to celebrate Mudder's Day soon.

All our plants are going in the ground now, including the eggplant and peppers. Our corn is already about an inch tall.

All our plants are going in the ground now, including the eggplant and peppers. Our corn is already about an inch tall.
Hate you we got snow yesterday and last night
No garden till the end of the month maybe
right now the temp is -5::C

My green and jalepeno pepper plants are doing well in the starter trays, but won't get planted until next weekend. We have below freezing temps overnight yet for a couple of days. Learned over winter that my jalepeno's may keep coming out too mild because I water them too much... Everything else I direct seed (melons & zucchini). Trying a "mango melon" this year. Last years cantelopes were super sweet but small, honeydew didn't come up.

I don't do a huge garden, but I've learned some really good zucchini recipes. Had 126 zucchini harvested last year from 1 package of seeds and only about 1/2-2/3 actually came up! Had to get another freezer for my 3 deer because the other one was still full of produce...