Howling sounds coming from the back of the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
Anyone have any thoughts of why once in awhile there is a howling type sounds coming from the back of my Enviro Milan. I'm assuming it's the auger grinding the pellets but I could be wrong. Just curious if people think it's something to be worried about. It doesn't happen often but it does happen, like 2 or 3 times throughout the night.

Your going to have to gain access to the back and find out which motor is making the noise

Your going to have to gain access to the back and find out which motor is making the noise

Son of a B*tch! This sounds like work, I was hoping to avoid that. :) The sound is worse with certain pellets, which is why I assumed it was auger grinding but I was pretty sure I was going to have to look closer.

BTW - Like your comments in your sig. No one should be able to post without answering Yes to both those questions.

If it’s a howling sound I’m guessing convection blower bearings. When it’s doing it unplug the blower and see if it stops. I believe there is an oil port on them.

Yes there is, I oil it every year but now that it's mentioned I don't think I oiled it this year. I'll add some oil and see if it stops. It's good 1st step