How's everybody on fuel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I've burned about a 2 cord mix of oak, hack, maple and cherry. Got about another dry cord left of maple and cherry. Things should start improving around here soon so I think I'll have some extra to add to next years stash of almost all oak.

Getting pretty low with the stuff in the house. I will have to venture out to the shed soon with all this -10 degree weather.

If I run out of seasoned fire wood in one season of burning don't bother come looking for me . . . Maine has been covered in a glacier and we're in a new ice age. :)

I'm doing better than expected. I went into my first winter season with only 2 cords. Not knowing what to expect, I wanted 4 but couldn't get that much.

I used a quarter cord in November, a half in December, and a half in January. I can use another half in February and still have a quarter for March!

That's using wood as primary heat. 1,512 sq ft ranch in friggen cold Massachusetts so I'm happy.

Im not even sure at this point how much i have used. 2-3 cord? i still have half a cord in the garage and probably 3/4 cord out in the driveway half buried. once I dig the rest of that out, ill probably have been through 4 cord and will be using the oil burner unless my stacks seriously thaw out.

Reactions: Woodbee burner
I've used about 3 cords so far. Got another 3 ready for this year and another 3 seasoning. Trying to get 3 years ahead, going to take some work. Looks like I'll be on about 4 cords a year.

Poor. :( First season burning (bought the house in Nov. so there really wasn't any prep). I've got maybe 2 stove loads of decent wood left from what I was able to get from my dad's stack and apparently the little bit of wood from our old house that I had saved for the fire pit was stacked in a bad place. The stacks are packed full of leaves, frozen together, and punky. And trying to find a seller with legitimate, dry wood is just about impossible...

Looks like I have enough to get through March. There may be no shoulder season burning for me this year...

Plenty of wood left but I'm going to have to work for it. My staged stuff is gone after tonight and the balance of this year's wood is still in the stacks away from the house with no wheel barrow access due to snow. No fun in single-digit temps.

On same pace as any other year. loading 2x a day, last few single & below zero nights did a few splits of pine filler loads between the full loads. Everything else is same ol, same ol.

Meagre! We have enough for either the house or my shop, not both. It's been really cold here and we've been selective about when we've decided to light the stove(s). But that's not the worst choice to have to make, esp. when heating oil has been as "cheap" as it's been this winter!

We are "behind" if we use the "2 yr. rule" and I'll do my damnest to get the household caught up by the end of the summer!

I'm a new burner and started mid season. About 1 1/2 cords used plus maybe a third of a pallet of Lowe's "fuel blocks".

I just picked up a pallet of Envi-Blocks that should get me through end of March I hope.

I'm a new burner and started mid season. About 1 1/2 cords used plus maybe a third of a pallet of Lowe's "fuel blocks".

I just picked up a pallet of Envi-Blocks that should get me through end of March I hope.

Hoping spring comes before July.

I should have enough to get me through March. I don't know exactly how much I have burned because I stack 1.5 cords by the back door. When it starts to get low I bring more and stack on top. The wood on bottom is all ash that I stacked earlier this fall.

I recently refilled it for the last time I hope. I think I will be close to three cord by the end.

I have about a 7 cord cushion of ash and maple so I am fine. Still got about 1/2 cord of maple, cherry, ash , hard maple and hedge on front porch out of about 3 cord loaded there. I burn mostly maple during the day then at night load it up with hard wood and house stays at 74-76.

I am about 2 1/4 cord used so far with another 1/2 cord planned for this year. It starting to look like I might need to tap into next years supply though. Maybe time for me to revise my three year ahead plan.

I am now burning 90% Black locust with a little red oak or honey locust mixed-in. The burn times and heat are good.

About 2.5 cords so far. A little more than usual. I just hope the winter doesn't extend into late April like last year.

We've used about 2/3 cord. Supplemental heat only. About 1/2 cord remaining for this year. Doubt I'll use it. Winter ended here about 3 weeks ago. We've had highs in the high 60's and overnight lows mid 30's. Last snowfall was Christmas. Hardly even shoulder weather.
I'm concerned my fruit trees are going to bloom and then we'll get a serious cold snap. Got out Saturday and cut half cord of Elm and half cord of Russian Olive. Splitting today. This will be my 16/17 or maybe 17/18 wood.

About 2.5 down and 9 gal of K1.

About 10 cord and 10 gal of K1 in reserve can, just incase it gets cold.

We've used about 2/3 cord. Supplemental heat only. About 1/2 cord remaining for this year. Doubt I'll use it. Winter ended here about 3 weeks ago. We've had highs in the high 60's and overnight lows mid 30's. Last snowfall was Christmas. Hardly even shoulder weather.
I'm concerned my fruit trees are going to bloom and then we'll get a serious cold snap. Got out Saturday and cut half cord of Elm and half cord of Russian Olive. Splitting today. This will be my 16/17 or maybe 17/18 wood.
You suck! Don't Bogart that 60° stuff, send a little over here and share!

Reactions: Woody Stover
You suck! Don't Bogart that 60° stuff, send a little over here and share!

I would gladly trade you some 60's for some of that snow you all have too much of. We're sitting at about 80% snow pack statewide and at about 65% snow pack in my area.

I would gladly trade you some 60's for some of that snow you all have too much of. We're sitting at about 80% snow pack statewide and at about 65% snow pack in my area.
OH no, you don't just get the snow, you get this sub zero shitstorm with it!
Take the cold along with it, and you got yourself a deal!

And BG is over there planting ::P flowers! I just wanna slap him..
It's that time of year for me, done, done & more done, I'm ready for Spring!

Last edited:
No idea what we've used. Half the stacks are buried in a huge snowdrift so I can't tell what we pulled from that end. We've got plenty enough CSS that's 2 years old so we won't run out. Getting it from the stacks to the Cottage, that won't be fun. Glad it's there though.

I'm on my last cord of good dry wood. I gathered 31.5 cord last year, burned 7 and working on 8th, this is ash I got in October. When this is gone I will be pulling down maple from August or poplar from September because everything older is oak. I was thinking 8-10 cord a year as a worst case scenario but it looks like this is going to be reality. Maybe when I'm able to burn oak I will use less.

Status
Not open for further replies.