How's the chimney flue look? Good enough for a SS liner with a wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cj-8_jim

Oct 18, 2009
NE Illinois
How's the chimney flue look? Good enough for a SS liner with a wood insert?

This view is looking up just past the damper (I put the camera in the damper opening).

Note: In the first tile, there appears to be a crack.
BUT when I zoom in on the photo, it appears to be a manufacturing line of some sort since the end of the clay tile is NOT cracked but solid.

UPDATE: 40 year old exterior chimney -- 25' on this flue -- always wood burning fireplace.
UPDATE: I've attached a photo (compressed with less detail) in addition to the linked photo

FLICKER PHOTO
4028548206_5ea4facdd8.jpg

ATTACHED PHOTO

Attachments

• 4028548206_5ea4facdd8.jpg
    4028548206_5ea4facdd8.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 253
It looks good. I woulid have it inspected as well. What other details are there? age, etc? Exterior wall?

Jim,

I can't see your pic (all external photo-sharing sites are blocked) so I'd ask you to post directly to the site here.

And while Hearth.com doesn't use a "one project, one thread" policy, I'd like to recommend you pick a thread and build on it. There's a lot of activity here this time of year and it's easy to miss things when you spread info over a buncha posts. if you put it all together in one thread, it's a lot easier to follow :)

Ed - updated the original post.

Thanks for the tip to keep the project all in one post.
Jim

Did it have a flue fire while you owned it? That bottom tile is cracked and I assume it continues to the top. If you put an insulated liner in it you will be in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.