Huge mistake this season. :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2010
NEPA Center Valley
We bought our second pellet stove for the house.... a new Accentra insert AND four tons of "PREMIUM" pellets on our 18month 0% interest CC.

The monthly payment is not a problem at all... but I'm really pissed off at the "Quality" of my "PREMIUM" pellets. :(

They showed up with "Easy Heat" pellets.... Probably 100-150 pounds of ash and fines in those four tons.... maybe more. :(

I'm down to 1.25 tons at this point in the season with two stoves burning through 2.5 to 3.5 bags a day between them now that it's really cold.

I know I need more pellets.... just not sure if I should pony up for some softwoods & try for more BTUs per bag.... or just go to Home Depot , Lowes or Tractor Supply and try a few bags of everything OR just buy another ton of whatever's cheapest.

The only thing I really dislike about heating with pellets is the huge variance in pellet quality.

Rant\

I would try going to a local pellet house and buying 5 bags each of a few brands and see what works.

Reactions: pelletdude
I would talk to your dealer who sold you tose pellets and maybe they would be willing to trade them out for others.
Like Earl said look around for other brands and buy a few at a time to try.
Nothing in Allentown or Bethelham Quakertown??

There are plenty of good pellets around here. I reviewed those Easy Heats and while they had a low ash content, the pellets were very long and left a big clinker in my pot. Their sister company manufactures wood pallets which is probably where they get some, if not all, their fiber from. I would stay away from those. I reviewed some of these with excellent results:

R&S Flooring (Walnutport on Rt. 248) - Pellheat Wood Pellets (super low ash and hot)

Cozy Barn (Windgap) - Turman Wood Pellets (super low ash and hot)

Lowe's (Whitehall and Bethlehem) - Somersets and now Hamer Hot Ones too....(super low ash and hot)

Wood Heat (Nazareth) - Pennwood and Wood Pellet Co.

As with anything else....YMMV...always better to try a few bags before committing to a bunch

Reactions: Paul L
Hamer's at Lowes??? That's like a Mercedes for Kia prices IF they sell for the standard big box price. Stock up time!!

There are plenty of good pellets around here. I reviewed those Easy Heats and while they had a low ash content, the pellets were very long and left a big clinker in my pot. Their sister company manufactures wood pallets which is probably where they get some, if not all, their fiber from. I would stay away from those. I reviewed some of these with excellent results:

R&S Flooring (Walnutport on Rt. 248) - Pellheat Wood Pellets (super low ash and hot)

Cozy Barn (Windgap) - Turman Wood Pellets (super low ash and hot)

Lowe's (Whitehall and Bethlehem) - Somersets and now Hamer Hot Ones too....(super low ash and hot)

Wood Heat (Nazareth) - Pennwood and Wood Pellet Co.

As with anything else....YMMV...always better to try a few bags before committing to a bunch
Thanks !!! I had no idea that Lowes has Hamers.
Price isn't as much of an issue to me if I know the brand I'm getting is high quality.
I tried a ton of those pellets from wood heat last season.... was t too impressed with those either. lol

This years Stove Chow (Home Depot) and Natures Own (Lowes), all made by Premier Pellet PA, are pretty good, and cheap.

Lowes hamers?

Pic of bag? UPC code?

Try some different bags and just mix them in.

This is pic from the other day that I posted in another forum...these aren't the "Clean Energy" Hamer pellets, these are genuine "Hot Ones". You can call the Bethlehem Lowe's (8th Ave.) for verification.

Oh, they are $230 by the ton

IMAG0563.jpg

Reactions: PPLcangotoh...
How much do you figure you paid per ton for the Easy Heat?

You can always buy a known good pellet and mix with the remaining Easy Heat. I know more handling but may cut down on the frustration factor of more ash.

Reactions: PPLcangotoh...
I kinda feel sorry for the East Coast pellet burners on here. I apparently live in pellet Heaven.

IMO, those kinda suck... not a lot of heat. i'd buy 'em for the fall or spring, but not winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.