Humidifier...Lasko, Hunter or...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynfrfun

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
Since installing my pellet stove last November, the air is so dry in the house that the skin cracks on my hands. I've decided we HAVE to get a humidifier. My research points to an evaporative type humidifier. I'm torn between the Lasko 1128 or the Hunter 34357. The Hunter has a permanent wick that doesn't need replacing. The Lasko has more humidifying capacity, but people say it's loud. My house is 1900sf. Any help deciding is appreciated!
Flynfrfun

I have the Lasko 1128. I think its a good unit. Has a removable Quick fill resivoir that holds 1.5 gallons. The bottom of the unit holds 3 gallons. So you could have a total of 4.5 in the unit. It will emit 9 gallons in 24 hrs. But you have to keep it full. We leave it on Low while we sleep and are at work and High when we are at home (up and about). Keeps the house around 45% humidity. Which feels much nicer than the 20% it was before we got it. No a really high tech unit. But it gets the job done. About $90 at Menards. Took the removable fill jug out, to show it in the pic.

Attachments

• IMG00201-20110130-1607.jpg
    IMG00201-20110130-1607.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 465
Dexterday,
Is the refill canister easy to refill? It looks a little long. Will it fit in a kitchen sink easily? How often do you have to replace your filter/wick? Thanks
Flynfrfun

flynfrfun said:
Dexterday,
Is the refill canister easy to refill? It looks a little long. Will it fit in a kitchen sink easily? How often do you have to replace your filter/wick? Thanks
Flynfrfun

If you have tall kitchen sink or a sprayer nozzle on your sink, it shouldn't be a problem. I have bothand I still use my bathtub. It is a little tall. Just measured to give a number to check your sinks. Its 13.5" from top to bottom of jug. The fill is on the bottom of jug. Has a good seal on it and a handle to carry once you get it filled. Around 13 lbs full of water. Clean filter throughout heating season in a 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water solution per owners manual. Buy a new filter every year. (Could prob make it 2-3 yrs)

Good job on the research - evaporative type humidifiers (with wicking filters) won't cover your furniture and electronics with the notorious "white dust" often left behind by ultrasonic and mist humidifiers. Just make sure the humidifier can handle the sq. footage you're looking to cover, get two if one isn't enough. Invest in a hygrometer to measure the humidity inside your house so you don't over humidify. I personally use the Honeywell HCM-750, which is really easy to fill and uses a running stream of water to keep the wicking humidifiers moist, doesn't seem to get clogged with water minerals and dirt as past humidifiers I've owned. Don't trust "permanent wicks", once those wicking filters become clogged up by minerals, you are better off replacing them than trying to clean them using vinegar. Even after a good cleaning, the filters won't absorb or demineralize water as effectively.

DexterDay said:
flynfrfun said:
Dexterday,
Flynfrfun

If you have tall kitchen sink or a sprayer nozzle on your sink, it shouldn't be a problem. I have bothand I still use my bathtub. It is a little tall. Just measured to give a number to check your sinks. Its 13.5" from top to bottom of jug. The fill is on the bottom of jug. Has a good seal on it and a handle to carry once you get it filled. Around 13 lbs full of water. Clean filter throughout heating season in a 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water solution per owners manual. Buy a new filter every year. (Could prob make it 2-3 yrs)

Thanks...yes, we have a sprayer nozzle as well as a deep well sink. So 13" shouldn't be a problem. My humidifier will have to be located downstairs where we don't have a tub, so I'll have to fill from the kitchen sink. Is the noise really that bad? I figure if I get this model, I'll leave it on speed 1 and just let it run there.
Flynfrfun

On speed 2 or 3 it is a little loud. But speed 1 is quiet. Says in the manual, that this is "sleep mode" or "quiet operation". We do have a Humidistat. Because this does not have digital humidity read-out. Although this model will turn off and on with the humidity dial. We run ours constantly as stated above. High when home and awake. Low while slleping and working. So you leaving it on low should work fine. No more static, cracked hands, bleeding noses (wife is pregnant), etc. The one imacman posted is a good one also. We looked at it. Would have looked better in the room. But we got what we got and I am quite happy with it. Good luck on your purchase. With any kind of stove you have to humidify the DRY air. Whatever you choose as long as its big enough to fit your needs. (Our house is a 2,180 sq ft ranch)

By the word loud, I'm stating that our humidifier is in the room next to the bedrooms. So its only 12 ft away from our room and my 9 year old sons room. We have to sleep with the doors open. Don't have my pellet furnace hooked up yet. But its not that bad. Has a running water system inside like ChrisWNY stated earlier. Has a pump connected to the fan shaft the pumps the water to the top of filter. Water then runs down through the filter. Air is pulled through the filter and moisturized. Sending it to the Fan through the top of humidifier. This unit I is sufficient for my needs. Got rid of all the "problems" we had. Just trying to give as much info on this unit as I can. So you can make an educated purchase.

the more water it will hold the better off you'll be. i have a moistaire that hold 3 gallons and were constantly filling the thing. i wish i'd gotten an autofill one that connects to the water supply.

as soon as this thing dies thats what i'll do. except for the filling, the moistaire is great. got it at lowes.

i have an aprilaire autofill one on the oil beast but i dont use that.

before you buy check the filter availability and the prices. i go through 3 filters a season, 2 if i dont mind 35%. hum.

you do need one tho. before we got this we were getting static elec. shocks, dry skin and stuffy noses and nosebleeds from the dry air. also had to retighten our coffee table several times.

I have the Hunter unit with perma filter, and it has digital humidity stat built in so you just select what humidity level you want. I use 40% and that seems to be a good number. The unit is very quiet on low, but sounds like a jet plane if you put it on high.

Im disappointed in the perma filter, if you dont remove it weekly, as I did not, by end of season you will have a real crusty filter full of mineral deposits, but it will come clean if you soak it in vinegar water for a few days which I did but this year I'll just buy a new filter instead of going through the soaking. I always use the anti bacterial liquid too, when I fill it I add a little of that, and its supposed to have water conditioners in it also that help with mineral build up, but I still see a little mineral deposit on the pump parts when I take it apart to clean it.

Overall I like the unit , it would get a 5 star rating if it were not for the perma filter which is not a permanent filter. Its easy to fill, doesnt leak, its quiet, and really puts the moisture in the air. This model holds something like 3.5 gallons or close to it I cant remember and the base of the unit must hold over a gallon its deep. It has auto shut off as most of them do nowdays too. I fill the tank at my kitchen sink using the spray nozzle of the sink, and that works out well for me. Some people add a cap full of clorox to their water which is cheaper than buying the anti bacteria stuff, but I chose to use the anti bacterial liquid instead, when I run out of it I may just use a little clorox in the water.

Bought this Hunter last year online, on sale for $80...

Status
Not open for further replies.