Husky 288XPW dual port muffler mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
A couple weeks back at least 2 of the fine gents here replied to my question about getting a factory dual port muffler for my 288.Seen a couple NOS factory ones in the past year or two,way over priced for me.I even wondered taking it to local trusted saw shop & seeing what he'd charge to weld a small short tube on the outside of existing muffler.

One of the guys told me to get a spare factory exhaust deflector,spark arrestor screen & 2 matching screws.And the other one mentioned I may have to turn the H screw on carb out a little,to richen the fuel,since it'll now run leaner & cooler w/ the dual port.Well I ordered the parts early last week,they came in late yesterday & I installed them this morning.Piece of cake.Saw runs even better than it did before,did exactly what was suggested.

I dont remember either of your names,but I'll raise my glass to both of you in a hearty thanks!! >>

Oh yeah.... here are the pics. Parts were a bit more than I expected,$30 & change,welll worth it IMO.Just used a single 25/64 twist drill for center hole,didnt want a slot or make it too big.No room on clutch side in front of existing port,installed it on left side.Peeled masking tape off after drilling,blew out muffler with air compressor,drew 2 lines on top cover with Sharpie,cut them out on bandsaw.Finally smoothing any fuzz or burrs with fine file & scrap of 120 grit abrasive belt.

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 415
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 407
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 747
  • PICT0026.JPG
    PICT0026.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 344
  • PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 386
Reactions: MasterMech
Nice work thistle, looks very good. Wait till you bury the bar now, you'll smile. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.