Muffler Mod for the 290,310,390

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
southbound said:
someday.....

jug and slug is that all you need? Dont have one but you never know someone does.............

southbound said:
but for the cost I can get another 046 running....

Fair enough. Back to the muff modd. How die you get the limit caps off for retuning? ;-)

smokinjay said:
southbound said:

Fair enough. Back to the muff modd. How die you get the limit caps off for retuning? ;-)

"Look inside the hole for the H screw and you will see a plastic looking screw with the slot for a flat screwdriver.. I use a 3 inch drywall screw..Place the screw in the hole and use the screwdriver to screw it into the cap.. It does not need to go in far just enough to get a bite..If it comes loose just do it again.. Ok this is when it gets tricky on these caps there is a key way you need to line up with the notch in the screw boot…Just pull up and twist it and you will feel it line up then just pull.. Now that you know what you are doing do the L also…"

And back on topic we go.................:)

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:

"Look inside the hole for the H screw and you will see a plastic looking screw with the slot for a flat screwdriver.. I use a 3 inch drywall screw..Place the screw in the hole and use the screwdriver to screw it into the cap.. It does not need to go in far just enough to get a bite..If it comes loose just do it again.. Ok this is when it gets tricky on these caps there is a key way you need to line up with the notch in the screw boot…Just pull up and twist it and you will feel it line up then just pull.. Now that you know what you are doing do the L also…"

And back on topic we go.................:)
, are you trimming the edge off the cap or just leaving them off?

southbound said:
There is no need to put them back..So once you pull them off just toss them....

Thats what I do. I Have heard to trim off the edge and put them back on guess its suppose to help keep it in tune....Not needed.

Has anyone bought the euro muffler for the saw and just tuned it to the euro spec? Is the only difference on the euro models just the muffler and a tune? Thought it might be an easy way to get more power and keeping your stock muffler as a backup.

Hmmmmmmm, now you got me wondering if I should open up my muffler more or not. I opened up the slots and the deflector, but I'm still going through the baffle. Maybe I should add another small hole in the lower right portion so it is still behind the deflector but bypasses the baffle. What do you think? Current pictures are below.

100_2780.jpg

100_2781.jpg

I really don't want to be responsible for folks going overboard with their mods...

Now that being said if it were mine I would put a .5 inch hole in the indent and retune....

Continue at own risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if I will go that big, but I've been thinking about throwing like a 5/16" or 3/8" hole in there. Then again, my chain is crap right now, so maybe I'll just get a couple new loops and see where I'm at after that.

ikessky said:
Not sure if I will go that big, but I've been thinking about throwing like a 5/16" or 3/8" hole in there. Then again, my chain is crap right now, so maybe I'll just get a couple new loops and see where I'm at after that.

1/2 where I would go...+1 southbound.

ikessky said:

There is no substitute for a sharp chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How long has your saw had this mod????

A year maybe? I felt the difference right away, but wondering if there is more to be had. I'm guessing the difference I feel right now vs. adding another hole will not even be noticable (if anything at all).

How many turns out are you on the H screw? If I remember correctly, I'm over 1.5.

I've listened to that Madsen link so much before I attempted this that I was hearing it in my sleep! I was just curious what other 290 owners were at for thier tunes. Where I'm at right now, my saw four strokes at WOT and cleans up in the cut. Pulled the plug a while back to see how it looks and everything indicates that I'm tuned to where I need to be.

ikessky said:
I've listened to that Madsen link so much before I attempted this that I was hearing it in my sleep! I was just curious what other 290 owners were at for thier tunes. Where I'm at right now, my saw four strokes at WOT and cleans up in the cut. Pulled the plug a while back to see how it looks and everything indicates that I'm tuned to where I need to be.

Nothing better than tuning by ear. I would think it should put you in the 12,800 to 13,200 range hope that helps.

ikessky said:

Sounds right to me.....

Exhaust just takes the path of least resistance right? So I would think that if I start with adding a smaller hole, like say 1/4", I can just go up from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.