Husky 350 Clutch drum/drive sprocket removal???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyWreckDiver

Nov 28, 2008
North/West New Jersey
Anyone know how to remove the clutch drum/drive sprocket assembly from a Husky 350? The manual states it has a needle bearing that requires periodic greasing... Of course the manual doesn't say anything about how to remove it. I'm mechanically inclined enough to rebuild car engines but where springs are involved I like to know the exact procedure rather than just start messin with it.

I have a 350 and had the same question. I found a tech support number for Husky( I can't remember if it was in the manual or online) and asked about this. The person said that only a dealer could remove the drum. He asked how much wood I cut( 2-4 cords a year) and said to put some bar and chain oil down the hole in the clutch and it would be adequate.

Removing the clutch drum isn't too hard. First, you need to block the piston movement. There are a couple tools that screw into the plug hold to do this. Some people cram the cylinder full of starter rope so the piston can't move. This keeps the crankshaft from turning. Then, on the clutch itself you'll see a couple spots where little notches are cast into the part. These notches accept a punch that you then use a hammer on to spin the clutch drum off. Remember, this is a reverse thread. Now the clutch drum just pulls right off.

That being said, the only time I've ever greased them is if I happen to have them out for some reason anyway. It's good practice to lube them before putting the saw back together. Normally they get enough lube in whatever bar oil they collect while the saw is running. If you can, do like tech support recommended and just get some bar oil in there. I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

Oh ya, make sure your muffler bolts are tight.

I haven't worked in that model of saw, but generally you need a special tool to remove the clutch.

see Baileys: http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=clutch tool&catID=95

They should have one that will fit your saw. I have used an air impact wrench to carefully remove the clutch. You could also use a piston holder and regular wrench.. Remember the threads are usually left hand.

Thanks for the replies. I did find a clutch removal tool and a piston stop at Bailey's. According to them you don't need the piston blocked if you use the impact gun on the removal tool.

Not sure I like this piston stop too much. Nice and cheap but I would have to tap it and put a piece of nylon or UHMW on the end to protect the piston. Probably overkill but it would make me feel better.

I've had the saw almost seven years now. The manual has the needle bearings listed in the lubricate once a month column. One good smear of a good synthetic Moly grease and I won't have to worry about it for another seven.

Attachments

• 10615_L.jpg
    10615_L.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 278
I wouldn't worry about the bearing unless it is out for other reasons.

Also, I never use a piston stop. Just pull the plug, rotate the engine clockwise till the piston is above the exhaust port, and stuff some rope in the plug hole.

Jack33 said:
I wouldn't worry about the bearing unless it is out for other reasons.

Also, I never use a piston stop. Just pull the plug, rotate the engine clockwise till the piston is above the exhaust port, and stuff some rope in the plug hole.

I'm not loosing sleep over it, but for little effort I can pull it check it and give it it's due attention. Doesn't seem that hard to do...

About the rope. When I saw the piston stop on Bailey's site they had a faq under it where I saw this;

Will this device damage the piston head if you use it a lot? Cause we strip down our saws every day and clean them, we use starter rope, but this looks like a better tool cause some times the piston will cut the rope then you have to fish out the cut end. But it just seems like the pressure from cranking the clutch off would dent up the piston head.
Posted by: fire faller from bieber ca on 7/5/2008
45 out of 86 people found this answer helpful
Piston stops are not recommended, or needed, with an air wrench. When using standard wrench with a piston stop it can leave a small mark on the top of the piston which does no harm. Using a rope can actually do more damage if it doesn't hold and the crank turns over as there will be a tremendous increase in pressure on the bearings as the piston goes over the top dead center. This will cause harm to the saw.

Not knocking your method, just sharing what I found.

To avoid the piston cutting the rope, make sure it is on the up stroke and past the ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.