Husky 359 not getting spark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggins08

Sep 20, 2006
Springfield MA
What would you guys do first? Checked to make sure kill wire is not touching, whats next? Tried a new plug as well....

Well, there is only two other things, the coil and ignition/trigger module. If you know how to use a multi meter and the resistance parameters you can test the coil yourself or take it to a dealer. The modules rarely can be tested to certain parameters. About the only way is to install it on another working saw of the same ignition and see if it works or not.

I'm not exactly sure how this huskys coil/module is set up. It may be one unit or separate. Basically all electronic ignitions work the same. Small units are mostly magneto (spark energy created by magentic fields) while larger equipment is battery ignition (spark energy created by a battery).

As long as you are making sure that when you check for spark that the spark plug has a path to ground, I would bet on the coil being bad. You can unplug the kill switch from the coil to verify that it's not the kill switch. Get the number off the coil and do a search on e-bay. You should be able to find something for about half what a dealer will charge. Also, there are probably a half dozen part numbers for the coil you need. Husqvarna likes to change part numbers for some reason. When you install the coil, make sure that you set it to the correct gap. A set of feeler gauges or the correct thickness shim stock will work for that.

My Poulan was getting harder and harder to start and finally I couldn't get it to start at all. No spark. I removed the plastic cover so I could see the flywheel. I wiped the flywheel clean making sure the magnets weren't dirty. There was a very light film of oil and sawdust on the flyweel from regular use. I then looked at the coil area where the magnets on the flywheel pass by. I took a rag and wiped the coil area clean. That also had a light film of oil and sawdust on it. Put it back together and it fired right up. I know it's not a Husy, but it might be possible that it is the same problem, only takes a couple minutes to do.

For the 359, try a new plug, disconnect the kill wire. If there's still no spark your module is bad. Your coil (module) contains all kinds of circuitry, including it's own trigger. You cannot test these with an ohmmeter.

any wire pluged into the coil should be your kill switch which grounds out the coil internally. Unplug it and have no wires other than the sparkplug wire coming out of the coil assuming it is not electronic ignition. If it starts you prabably have a bad switch or a "naked" wire where the insulation has broke or come off grounding out the coil. Hope this helps. I am an idiot sometimes so this could all be false info. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.