Husky 55 Rancher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titan

Minister of Fire
Mar 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
aliant
Well, it's time I bought a good saw.I looked at a 55 Rancher locally for $599.00 today.A buddy of mine who cuts wood for a living swears by Husky and figures the 55 is plenty of saw for a "pretender" like me who might chunk up 5 cords per year max.Anybody own or have experience with the Rancher?What about that price?Thanks in advance.

You can probably pick up a new 346XP, which is much better saw, for about $200 less, new. In any event, $600 sounds like way too much for a 55 Rancher to me.

Google that saw on the Internet and see what kind of pricing you find.

Titan said:
Well, it's time I bought a good saw.I looked at a 55 Rancher locally for $599.00 today.A buddy of mine who cuts wood for a living swears by Husky and figures the 55 is plenty of saw for a "pretender" like me who might chunk up 5 cords per year max.Anybody own or have experience with the Rancher?What about that price?Thanks in advance.

I feel like a broken record having just made the past suggestion, but if you have Home Depots in your area, I'd suggest checking their rental departments to see if they have any of their used Makita (Dolmar in blue paint) saws they are ready to sell off. Seems like a really good value if you look back for some of the earlier posts describing them.

Gooserider

Thanks guys,I'll follow up @ the Depot.

The 55 Rancher is a great firewood saw, and is far superior to the newer 455 Rancher. That said, even in Canadian dollars that $600 price tag is STEEP. If you can get one for a more reasonable price then you should be all set with a first-rate, long-lasting firewood cutting machine.

I have the Rancher and I paid about #399 at Northern Tool and they have there own repair facility. (warranty work)I like the saw for bigger stuff, but I use my smaller saws more often. I have no complaints about the saw, or Husky products in general seem very well made. It's not the best saw in the world but it works good for me.

It starts easy and it's a very quiet running saw, easy on the ears.

If you're looking for a Husky Rancher in good condition, I have a 455R I'm selling for a reasonable price. I just found a smoking deal on a Stihl 056 and I have a 372XP so I no longer need the Rancher as my backup saw.

It has less than 25 hours (past 2 years) on it and I have the original bill of sale and box for it as well.

i have a 55 rancher and it is a great saw with a 16" bar on it.i wouldn't have a 455 rancher.i know canadian prices are high with the free healthcare and all but i'd see what you can get a 353 for.hell of a saw.

I have a 4 year old Rancher with a 20 in bar. Got it for about $360. Great saw. Also have a Husky 142 with a 16in bar that I also use more than the Rancher. However, I have a huge(dead) maple tree and I'm glad have the Rancher.

Status
Not open for further replies.