Husqvarna 455 Carb - is it really this much of a PITA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Just tore down a 455 last week - bought the saw cheap and stripping for parts. Anywho - I've only tore down about 4 older husqvarnas (268, 266, etc.) - I couldn't believe the carb config on this 455. A major PITA to remove the carb assembly - couldn't remove the convoluted choke lever from the linkage - had to remove everything (minus the throttle linkage) at one time. I'm guessing this box store saw isn't meant to be worked on much - all the Stihl carbs I've removed are SO much simpler. Any one else hate this carb configuration??? Cheers!

I rebuilt one that I got from eBay awhile back (someone had straight gassed it), and I don't seem to recall anything terrible about the carb linkage. The bolts that hold the carb to the boot and the boot to the cylinder are another matter though - the plastic strips if you are not careful.....

Are you selling the parts, or keeping them??

Selling the parts Caddy. I found the carb removal to be a PITA, relative to most of the Stihl saws I've worked on - no easy way to remove the choke lever from outside the box made the removal tough IMO - just wondering what others were thinking - it was my first 455, so perhaps a learning curve issue! Cheers!

I just had the pleasure (?) of fixing one for a neighbor. Piece of something, I've worked on Huskys and Stihls, but I always try to buy pro grade saws and both brands are much easier to work on than this Lowe's junker. Its not a brand thing, I think its a price range quality thing.

Yes - definitely not a friendly config IMO - I want to loosen a couple nuts and slide out the carb. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.