Husqvarna 460 vs Husqvarna 550 xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have Husqvarna 460 that was sitting in my garage before my Husky 357xp crankshaft gave up. (No time or skills to fix it now). I used 460 for couple times but considering getting professional grade chainsaw, like Husky 550 xp. Has anyone ran those two side to side? Wondering if it worth the upgrade.
Also was looking at the specs and 500 XP is 50cc with 4HP, with 460 is 60cc with 3.62 HP. What the advantages/disadvantages.

I process about 8cords plus some occasional work for friends.

PS: I'm considering selling my Husqvarna 460 to my son in law for reasonable price and moving up to 550 xp

I've run my 550xp mk II side by side with my dad's 455 (not exactly the same as a 460 but very close). In cutting speed they are remarkably similar, though my 550xp has the slight edge.

The 550 is lighter, with snappier throttle response, but the 455 seems to have a little more low end grunt too.

I like my 550xp, but if I had a good running 455 I wouldn't be getting rid of it for a 550xp based on the economics of it, if for fun that's a different story, but in that case I'd be looking at a 562xp or a 555 for a little more power.

I have the 550xp.. Has an 18in bar on it and love it. Its a fast cutting saw, light, responsive. Its a saw that i use in the woods all day or for cutting up rounds all day. Keep the chain sharp and it moves through harwoods with ease. To me having the pro saw is worth it, especially with the quantity of wood being processed. If it was just 1 cord Id say no pro saw needed. I had the 450 x torq not the same saw as you have, but there a big difference from a homeownersaw to the pro ones. Having a lighter more powerful saw is a no brainer. I also picked up the 562xp last year

The 550xp will feel like toy after handling the 460, but I mean that in a good way. Even with a 16" lightweight bar I don't like using the 460.

The 550xp is a light nimble good handling saw. Excellent cutter. I myself am not real fond of the autotune. That's my only complaint

I have the 550xp.. Has an 18in bar on it and love it. Its a fast cutting saw, light, responsive. Its a saw that i use in the woods all day or for cutting up rounds all day. Keep the chain sharp and it moves through harwoods with ease. To me having the pro saw is worth it, especially with the quantity of wood being processed. If it was just 1 cord Id say no pro saw needed. I had the 450 x torq not the same saw as you have, but there a big difference from a homeownersaw to the pro ones. Having a lighter more powerful saw is a no brainer. I also picked up the 562xp last year
If you would have to choose just one, 562 vs 550, wich one would you go with?

I have ran both. It depends on how big if stuff you plan on cutting. I personally am not a fan of the autotune. They dont like hot weather. My 550xp gave me fits today. My father in law had a 562xp and a 2260 jonsered and he had the same problem when they get hot. If I was cutting 18" and smaller, the 550would be my choice. Anything bigger I would get the 562.

Reactions: Dmitry
If you would have to choose just one, 562 vs 550, wich one would you go with?

I started with the 550xp..( im not saying that this was my first saw ever, but first pro saw.) Ran it for a number of years and cut everything with it. Put a 20in bar on it every so often for the bigger stuff. The 550 is great but there have been to may times I needed a bigger saw and more power. the 550 is a great saw and I didn't want to beat the $hit out of it so thats why I got the 562xp.. I wouldn't want to carry a heavier saw all day which is why I like the 550.. You may want to start with the 550xp.. then move up to a 60cc saw like the 562xp..and put a 20 or 24in bar on it for the bigger stuff. I got rid of my other 2 saws and am down to having 3 saws.. The 562xp is a beast cuts quick.. but I don't want to carry it all day.. Id start with the 550 and move up to a 562xp.. As far as the autotune mostly all my cutting is late fall through winter and late spring. so I haven't had any issues with either saw. I did run them in july and didn't have any issues with either saw over the summer..

Reactions: duramaxman05
So what do you think your going
I want to get 550xp. I’m done cutting for this year, so I wanted to see if someone sells it for a bargain price. But I don’t see lot of people selling good chainsaws for a good price. Prolly going to buy new. It’s not that much money after all for a nice tool and toy.

I want to get 550xp. I’m done cutting for this year, so I wanted to see if someone sells it for a bargain price. But I don’t see lot of people selling good chainsaws for a good price. Prolly going to buy new. It’s not that much money after all for a nice tool and toy.
Keep a look out. I bought my 550xp practically new for $300. The guy couldn't get it to start and couldn't get the chain back on. Within 5 min I had it up and cutting. He didnt know how to turn the choke on. I was like, you do t need this saw. Lol. I will take it

Keep a look out. I bought my 550xp practically new for $300. The guy couldn't get it to start and couldn't get the chain back on. Within 5 min I had it up and cutting. He didnt know how to turn the choke on. I was like, you do t need this saw. Lol. I will take it
that's what I'm looking for

Great choice.. 550xp.. is the saw.. it will take a while, you'll build up your arsenal of equipment
Is it any better than a 272XP ? I thought that was the "saw"

Is it any better than a 272XP ? I thought that was the "saw"
The 272 is different as its a 70cc saw and 13.5lbs. I wouldn't want that as my only saw. The OP is picking a saw that will be a daily saw, he doesn't have a collection of saws yet. I most certainly would not want to have a 70cc saw as pretty much my only option and I wouldn't want to do a lot of ground work with a 24in and up bar neither..

I was just referring to the "the saw" reference ...

I am reading this thread with interest. I bought a 550 XP used that had been rebuilt. It was a short notice replacement for my Sachs Dolmar 7300 that I broke the handle/tank on by my own stupidity as it fell out of my wood trailer because I didn't have it secured. A few weeks into using the 550 and I cant get it to start and stay running. I take it back to the shop where I purchased it, and they are great folks there...... And I find out about auto tune and the fact that my saw actually can "throw codes". Apparently something is really badly wrong with a sensor in the carb. This carb is weeks away and is 200 dollars. As soon as I can get things in place the 550 is being replaced with a new Rancher 455 or 460. I do not require a pro saw and I want to go back to something that doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer or code reader. Clean fuel, clean air filter, good spark plug and a sharp chain and I will be good again. I cut between 8-14 cords per year.

Will the Rancher be heavier? No question.... But I want simplicity.

I am reading this thread with interest. I bought a 550 XP used that had been rebuilt. It was a short notice replacement for my Sachs Dolmar 7300 that I broke the handle/tank on by my own stupidity as it fell out of my wood trailer because I didn't have it secured. A few weeks into using the 550 and I cant get it to start and stay running. I take it back to the shop where I purchased it, and they are great folks there...... And I find out about auto tune and the fact that my saw actually can "throw codes". Apparently something is really badly wrong with a sensor in the carb. This carb is weeks away and is 200 dollars. As soon as I can get things in place the 550 is being replaced with a new Rancher 455 or 460. I do not require a pro saw and I want to go back to something that doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer or code reader. Clean fuel, clean air filter, good spark plug and a sharp chain and I will be good again. I cut between 8-14 cords per year.

Good point. I need to cut generally 5 cords a year to keep up with my need. My rancher 460 is practically new and starts perfectly fine. May be I'm better off keeping it. It's not like I'm spending all week every day cutting wood. Its occasional day or two or couple hours here and there. It was sitting for years before I used it again and it works just fine. May be I need to show loyalty and stick to 460.

Far be it from me to tell anyone else to do as far as equipment goes..... and I know if I were to follow my line of logic all the way through then I would be digging out my old crosscut saws and resetting the teeth by hand. The relationship with wood heat and its "needed" equipment is a complicated one. I should likely start a new thread about my thoughts on it rather than hijack this thread.

I dont know about discrediting a whole line of saws bases on an experience with a used rebuild saw. Second hand equipment is normally suspect, hence why someone is getting rid of it. Or someone finds something totally broken says its rebuilt after they throw a couple parts on it and call it running.

Far be it from me to tell anyone else to do as far as equipment goes..... and I know if I were to follow my line of logic all the way through then I would be digging out my old crosscut saws and resetting the teeth by hand. The relationship with wood heat and its "needed" equipment is a complicated one. I should likely start a new thread about my thoughts on it rather than hijack this thread.

.I think you should start this thread. I would like to see other people's views and I think that it would be a great discussion.. can u start it

.I think you should start this thread. I would like to see other people's views and I think that it would be a great discussion.. can u start it
I would like to clarify on the earlier point. I agree having had several pre-owned saws over the years that yes I have on occasion purchased other people's problems or lack of proper maintenance. So I have no quarrel with the more advanced pro saws rather I am leaning strongly to a simpler saw that when I purchase it new shortly from a local reputable shop I will then know its history and know that I will have less technology to deal with in the long term. I am going to give the post some thought and start it soon elsewhere in the forum. I will likely start the post in the inglenook section as it has the potential to be a long thread with lots of discussion.