Husqvarna X-Guard “all season” bar oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ill look i to a bar oil.. it always seemed so expensive.. I purchase oil in bulk as we run through alot of it.. 1 truck is 3 gallons of oil.. per change.. when we serve the machines.. its like 4 cases of 10-30
Understood. I just never thought of bar oil as enough of an expense that I needed to scrimp on it by substituting something else. The amount I use per year, versus what I'm saving in heating oil... there's no comparison.

Understood. I just never thought of bar oil as enough of an expense that I needed to scrimp on it by substituting something else. The amount I use per year, versus what I'm saving in heating oil... there's no comparison.

I think maybe I just got in a rut and just grabbed what I got on the shelf at the shop.. I probably haven't seen the cost of bar oil in over 15 years.. Ill stoo off at the local saw dealer around the corner from work

I think maybe I just got in a rut and just grabbed what I got on the shelf at the shop.. I probably haven't seen the cost of bar oil in over 15 years.. Ill stoo off at the local saw dealer around the corner from work
Ahh... that's fine, woodsplitter. Wasn't trying to convince you, or tell you what to do. Was more just defending my own practice. Do whatever works, for you!

It seems just as you think you know all the ways
Ill look i to a bar oil.. it always seemed so expensive.. I purchase oil in bulk as we run through alot of it.. 1 truck is 3 gallons of oil.. per change.. when we serve the machines.. its like 4 cases of 10-30
vanctra is a lot more than bar oil. Bar oil is cheap compared to any other option, and better too. I just bought another 2 gallons and that should last me through the next year. I might still have 5 gallons in the shop too.

I have a waste oil furnace in my shop
One summer the company that was doing a road job 30 mikes from me offered their waste oil to me.
They were using 10 big Cat rock trucks,one truck used 100 gallons of oil per service.
I got a little over 4500 gallons of oil that summer,i was scrounging around to find enough barrels to store it all.
None was used for bar oil.
I get a lot of good oil that nobody wants because of the waste oil furnace...
3 summers ago a guy stole 12 drums of diesel from a telecommunications tower power plant.
The cops impounded the truck and fuel.The company it was stolen from contacted me and asked if i wanted the fuel for my waste oil burner absolutly was my reply. 2400 liters of good diesel will never see the waste oil furnace.I will be using it this summer in my Kenworth hauling gravel into a lot i bought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful