HX Delta T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfect Heat

Feb 1, 2008
Ontario Canada
Is there an optimal temp exchange between the water temp entering water to air heat exchanger in a furnace plenum and the water temp exiting?

Terry

Many of these devices are really designed for the water be at 180* and as you get lower in temp the amount of btus you can get goes down too. If you want to be able to make use of lower temps, then you will need to size the hx larger so that it will meet you needs with lower temp water.

I have found that the temp difference between entering the HX and exiting it has always been around 17 degrees. (delta T) It does not seem to matter if the entering temp is 180 or 150. Just wondering if there is a way to increase the delta T. I have tried using different speeds on the 3 speed circ and found that the fastest speed gave the me the highest delta T. I guess increased fan speed might help.

I get your question now. In general you want as high a delta T as possible and that indicates that you are getting the most heat out of the hx. Yes a higher fan speed will give you more heat output and a higher delta T. If that is what you are after, then you are on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.