Hybrid stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bundy150

Feb 21, 2021
Texas
The new stoves have both tubes and catalysts. Does most of the heating occur during the secondary or tertiary burn? What percentage of efficiency is contributed by each method?

The new stoves have both tubes and catalysts. Does most of the heating occur during the secondary or tertiary burn? What percentage of efficiency is contributed by each method?
That really depends on the design of the stove and burn level. Some hybrids use the cat to produce a large portion of the heat while others really only use it to clean up the exhaust

So, the cat can be a significant method of increasing heat output or an after thought to get better EPA numbers. The tubes are more of a single use method and in turn produce a certain level of heat and efficiency. I hope I got this right!

So, the cat can be a significant method of increasing heat output or an after thought to get better EPA numbers. The tubes are more of a single use method and in turn produce a certain level of heat and efficiency. I hope I got this right!
Yes that is correct

Bholler, what hybrid stoves do make significant heat with the cat?

I thought that for most (nicely vague quantification...) hybrids the heat was by primary and secondary, and the cat was there to clean up any remnants.

Bholler, what hybrid stoves do make significant heat with the cat?

I thought that for most (nicely vague quantification...) hybrids the heat was by primary and secondary, and the cat was there to clean up any remnants.
I know the Woodstock ones do and the pro line regencies do. I am sure there are others but those are the ones I know of for sure.

Reactions: stoveliker