Hydro hearth connected to air handler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bmweiler

Nov 24, 2018
Virginia
i have a home built in the 70s that has a central fireplace with what I was told is called a hydro hearth installed. Piping is looped through the log holders that goes into the adjacent utility room and then underneath the floor near the air handler. I see a couple old Honeywell electric valves that have the wires cut on them however everything else looks intact. I don’t see a water tank though, unless it’s in the crawl space.

My guess is there is a heat exchanger somewhere in the return line to the air handler. Wondering if anyone has any info on this type of system.. when I search for hydro hearth I can only find systems that connect to a water heater or baseboard system. I would love to get this system back up and running.

Agreed I’m sure the system would need an expansion tank and emergency relief capabilities. Have they stopped making these systems for safety reasons?
They stopped making them because they dont work well at all.