Hydrogen from Sunlight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
This is a neat idea. Not only is it a neat idea, but it could be one of those things that solves the solar battery/transmission conundrum.

http://www.azom.com/news.aspx?newsID=30440

I've been a big fan of gallium nitride since reading about the advances in high-powered LEDs. Someone else appears to have figured out another use for it. 2% antimony and some sunlight, next thing you know you've got bubbling riches. The catalyst doesn't get used up, and this is hydrogen production without the CO2.

On another note, Exxon just declared war on the polar bear.

I caught that yesterday and was wondering how efficient is was. Keep us posted with progress.

The original article doesn't tell you that the "discovery" is really only a mathematical model. Not as exciting as I first thought.

If we could get hydrogen cheap enough then the storage problem wouldn't be so bad. While it is a bear to store, once you switch to an electric vehicle (perferably drive by wire) and a fuel cell you've got some much better efficencies, so you still might be able to go 300 miles before filling up with some high pressure storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.