I bought a tempwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stovepipemike2

Oct 1, 2019
south central pa
I picked up a tempwood for basically the price of scrap. It is as bad as it could be ,missing some firebrick, the remaining firebrick is crumbly, warped panels, even the flue outlet ring is split plus that split runs down the back panel of the stove which is the most severely warped of all. I know it should go to the happy hunting grounds but unfortunately its simple design is appealing to me. I will bring it back to safe usability just because. It will take a lot of cutting and welding plus develop a form to cast those crazy shaped Tempwood fire bricks. Since one thing always leads to another I think I will start looking for a used plasma cutter which would greatly simplify things. Wish I knew how to post pics because this will be a fun project. The highlight of the stove is that the legible tag is still there and readable.

I picked up a tempwood for basically the price of scrap. It is as bad as it could be ,missing some firebrick, the remaining firebrick is crumbly, warped panels, even the flue outlet ring is split plus that split runs down the back panel of the stove which is the most severely warped of all. I know it should go to the happy hunting grounds but unfortunately its simple design is appealing to me. I will bring it back to safe usability just because. It will take a lot of cutting and welding plus develop a form to cast those crazy shaped Tempwood fire bricks. Since one thing always leads to another I think I will start looking for a used plasma cutter which would greatly simplify things. Wish I knew how to post pics because this will be a fun project. The highlight of the stove is that the legible tag is still there and readable.
It really isn't worth the time effort or money to fix it. They were ok stoves to start with but nothing special. You will have a couple hundred in the castable refractory cement alone. And when you are done it will still just be an old tempwood

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
It really isn't worth the time effort or money to fix it. They were ok stoves to start with but nothing special. You will have a couple hundred in the castable refractory cement alone. And when you are done it will still just be an old tempwood
For $300+ you can buy a decent, much better and younger stove off Craigslist.

Reactions: bholler