I bought the Opel II ;) Does clearance at base of flashing look right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClubbyG

Hearth Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
CT
Hello All. Thanks to the many fine recommendations on this site, I purchased the RSF Opel II. It is a lovely unit and I did the install myself. My roof is slightly steeper than a 7/12, so I originally went with an ICC 8/12 flashing. However, after climbing the ladder and laying it on the roof (after I had cut the hole, of course), it seemed much too steep and was leaning in toward the roof at quite an angle. ICC only sells variable pitch flashing and I only had the choice between a 1/12-7/12 flashing or an 8/12-12/12, so I returned and got the 1/12-7/12 flashing.

Due to the angle of the flashing, there is only between .75 to 1 inch clearance between the chimney and the lower part of the flashing (side closest to the eave.) Hopefully these pictures will illustrate. There is otherwise at least 2" to other combustibles such as sheathing as per requirements. It almost seems that if I got the 8/12-12/12 flashing, I would have the opposite problem and the chimney would sit to close to the ridge side of the flashing base. (Seems that I cannot find a happy medium.)

The interior view is that of chimney passing into 13" square hole in roof sheathing up through the flashing. The chimney is behind an interior chase, hence I did not use a radiation shield. I also included photo of flashing and storm collar on roof as another point of reference, as it seems a bit odd-looking. Also, I definitely regret using roofing tar to seal between flashing and roof as you can see by the goopy blotches in the first photo ;)

Is the clearance between flashing and chimney a safety concern?

many thanks in advance!

excelinsideview.jpg
excelroofview.jpg
excelsideview.jpg

You say that theres .75" between flashing and pipe. It looks like the wood is the same distance or is it just the angle? My take is the flashing is non combustible so the only problem is your roof combustibles. If combustibles are within 2" anywhere you need to remove the offending material.

Thanks Snowtime. It is the angle, although I climbed back up and the sheathing is borderline in a few spots, so I plan on removing more of the sheathing for a sanity check, at any rate. It just seems like there would be a good amount of heat transferred to the flashing with it being so close...

I did some more searching and came across this image, which is kind of how the 8/12-12/12 flashing looked on my roof:

"http://www.chimney-duct.com/images/Gallery Photos/Woodstove Installation/12-05-04 (4).JPG"

Seems like not much clearance on the ridge side in that above installation, so who knows. I also emailed ICC, and they have been helpful thus far, so I'll see what they say. Still curious to hear from all you good folks on the forum.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback!

Everything looks good as long as you have the required clearance to combustibles from the piping.

Thanks very much for the input everyone! I feel much more reassured. I was scratching my head with this one. I spoke with the good folks at ICC-RSF and they concurred that the setup should be fine. I sent the same images, and at first they recommended the next size pitch flashing. However, I mentioned that because their next size was a variable pitch flashing that accomodated from 8/12 up to 12/12, the pitch was too steep and it would have been a tight clearance on the other side, they said that the setup I have should be fine as long as clearance to combustibles was 2" (as you guys kindly pointed out.)

SO...gonna go back up and clear away some more sheathing and get ready for the first test run. Hopefully this baby will throw off some heat...

Long live hearth.com. You have made a wood addict out of me ;)

Does the new Opel II have secondary combustion? If so are they the stainless tube type or something else? My neighbor installed an Opel last year and I didn't see any secondary tubes in the top of the firebox. Just curious... Good luck with the new stove. 8

The Opel II does have secondary combustion. It is a black painted steel bar, but only about 1.25 inches, at top of firebox. I tossed up an image for others to view down the road...

Of course, now that I bought it and am staring directly at the 18" log capacity, the KozyHeat Z42 is looking more attractive...lol.

opel2bar-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.