I feel like a real wood burner!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
I shot myself in the foor earlier on this forum when I made the statements, "we have mild winters in the pac NW where I live"

Well, last night I felt like a real wood burner. At midnight it was 13 degrees outside, 75 in the living room with the ole' smoke dragon CRANKIN!

Thank you so much to this forum for my and my families safety. Last year, I was clueless, burning VERY GREEN wood, and burning it "choked down" and smoking like crazy, being told by the old timers that this was the way to go.

Well, no I burn seasoned wood, and I burn as clean as I can. I'm getting more heat, clean stove glass, and for some reason..i'm using less wood? I know that makes no sense...but I really am using less..maybe because i'm keeping the house warmer burning cleaner.

Thank you guys and gals so much for this place.

Side note, I'm moving into a new to me house in three months. I can't WAIT to get in there and buy me a PE Summit. Big house, need...big..stove :D

Yeah ya gotta take what those old timers tell ya with a grain of salt. They just never learn. :lol:

Glad that good wood is putting out the heat for you.

I hope your foor is doing better. I've never been shot in mine, but I bet it hurts.

Seriously, though, way to be self-sufficient. there is no better feeling that knowing that you can make it in hard times WITHOUT help.

nice going man, great feeling aint it?
go get yourself a new flannel, you've earned it.

Good Job! This is about the only thing I like about the cold! Got home last night, outside was about 0F, inside was ~52F. Wife fired up the stove and I took over the stoking about 15 minutes later. Got the fire rolling and burned like a crematory for about 2 hours...top of the stove averaging ~850-875F. Next thing 'ya know the house was a comfy 75F again.

It's supposed to get below 0F up in northern Vermont this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing how the PB105 handles the cold weather.

Well, I feel sort of sheepish about my cold winter -- I can't crow about the cold. But nevertheless, I am Proud of heating with only the VC Encore so far. We have finally figured out about the damper and clean burn. Nice! I have learned so much from reading this site. The help offered here is invaluable.

D/F said:
Well, no I burn seasoned wood, and I burn as clean as I can. I'm getting more heat, clean stove glass, and for some reason..i'm using less wood? I know that makes no sense...but I really am using less..maybe because i'm keeping the house warmer burning cleaner.

Side note, I'm moving into a new to me house in three months. I can't WAIT to get in there and buy me a PE Summit. Big house, need...big..stove :D

It absolutely makes 100% sense. Do you know what happened to all that smoke that you used to produce? It's getting burned! Smoke is fuel that just wafts out of your chimney. Burn hotter/smarter, and you are burning more fuel and producing more heat!

Plus- water in wood sucks up heat to evaporate. The energy that was evaporating water is now heating your stove/house.

Good luck with the move. Folks that don't do it don't get it- heating with wood is pretty incredibly satisfying on a number of levels.

D/F,

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for!

Enjoy your stove and keep warm

Status
Not open for further replies.