I hate my MT VERNON

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year everyone, thanks for the help so far. Those were great pictures of Travis.

My whole process on purchasing a pellet stove started at the end of November. My bad for purchasing at the wrong time of year and my bad for not seeking out more dealers as far as a total package of service and installation. That is important. I have a degree in electronics, but show me a schematic for this thing. I'm mechanically inclined, but why should I fix a new unit I just purchased and paid for installation. The installation guy didn't even run the thing to the point of the blower starting as I remember. Wait 24 hours was stressed.

Never-the-less.

Being impatient as I am, I removed the side panels again.
I spun the blower and it's still just hitting the housing on what-ever high point the housing or fan blade has.
I nudged the blower housing and it is so loose like something is not secured properly. But without a large mirror or removing the stove, I cannot tell if that is normal. There is a pin holding one side in and I'm not sure what else secures it.
In any event, the thing stopped making noise and I'm running it again.
I recorded the noise on my digital camera if the technician, when-ever he comes out, cares to listen.

We had one Mt Vernon AE that had a noisy comb blower. Quad had us replace it under warranty and it was whisper quiet after that.

I believe the owners manual show you how to remove the convection blower (which is the one with the pin holding it in). You might just need to remove that and re-seat it back. It might have shifted during transport or was not installed perfectly at the factory.

Hi Anja, do you have any fans to move the air around? I read that getting some good air flow going is important when heating with stoves. I also read that if you have ceiling fans, in summer they should be set so that you feel a breeze coming down (usually counterclockwise). In the winter, reverse the fan's direction and operate it at a low speed to bring warm air down.

I’ve used this approach a few times on some cold mornings when our first floor living space was down in the low 60s. The stove (in the dining room) was putting out some great heat but the adjacent living room, which doubles as my home office, was not heating up quickly enough for me. So I turned on the ceiling fan in the living room and was pleased with how quickly it drew the warm air in. One day when I sort of paid attention to the thermometer, the temp went from like 61 to 67; I can’t say exactly how long but it seemed like it only took an hour or so…

Anne said:
Hi Anja, do you have any fans to move the air around? I read that getting some good air flow going is important when heating with stoves. I also read that if you have ceiling fans, in summer they should be set so that you feel a breeze coming down (usually counterclockwise). In the winter, reverse the fan's direction and operate it at a low speed to bring warm air down.

I’ve used this approach a few times on some cold mornings when our first floor living space was down in the low 60s. The stove (in the dining room) was putting out some great heat but the adjacent living room, which doubles as my home office, was not heating up quickly enough for me. So I turned on the ceiling fan in the living room and was pleased with how quickly it drew the warm air in. One day when I sort of paid attention to the thermometer, the temp went from like 61 to 67; I can’t say exactly how long but it seemed like it only took an hour or so…

Huh? I thought this was a discussion about a poor quality stove and dealer.......

looks like an accidental mispost. To clarify though, the stove is first rate quality. This seems to be a case of the installer not doing a dry run test and checklist of systems components. Imagine if you had a new furnace installed and were told by the installer, "I haven't tested anything because I want the glue to dry. Just turn it on tomorrow and let me know how it works."

I thought so but then again...I have been known to miss some things... :)
And, this thread makes me think I have another question to post about dealers and installers.....

jtp10181 said:
We had one Mt Vernon AE that had a noisy comb blower. Quad had us replace it under warranty and it was whisper quiet after that.

I believe the owners manual show you how to remove the convection blower (which is the one with the pin holding it in). You might just need to remove that and re-seat it back. It might have shifted during transport or was not installed perfectly at the factory.

You say you had a Mt Vernon AE, I thought they were pretty new, what prompted you to get rid of it or are you a dealer/service center that Quad would send you a part?
There is mention of the blowers that they need no lubrication and they need yearly cleaning by a Qualified Service technician, but no instructions in the manual I have, for consumer servicing.

I've gone 24 hours without fan noise now, but I'm still suspect of the convection blower being as loose as is it and I think it still needs to be looked at.
Does anyone thing the comb blower noise might of been a pellet making it all the way to that point? Kinda hard for me to believe that. Sounded more like metal to metal to me.

Sorry... I work for a dealer. I did not mean I personally owned a stove. I meant one out in the field had those problems. His was the fan blades rubbing on the housing someplace. New combustion blower fixed it right up.

I don't think there is a lot holding that convection fan in except the pin. I have not had to remove one so 'm not sure how loose they normally are.

jtp10181 said:
Sorry... I work for a dealer. I did not mean I personally owned a stove. I meant one out in the field had those problems. His was the fan blades rubbing on the housing someplace. New combustion blower fixed it right up.

I don't think there is a lot holding that convection fan in except the pin. I have not had to remove one so I'm not sure how loose they normally are.

Well, as a tech working for a dealer, can you answer the following that you know of, or do or don't do on an install?
Maybe this should be in another forum?

The delivery guys the day before basically put the MT Vernon in the hearth. They work for the dealer.
The installer the next day, and I offered to help him remove it and put it on a cart that I had, didn't even pull it back out all the way to inspect anything in the rear.
He had it cocked 90 degrees while I held it from falling off the fireplace so he could get the pipe installed, but I never saw any inspection of the unit going on.
I wish I would have, in fact I should have gone over the manual which does point out everything back there, and get familiar.

This was a direct vent out the rear of the chimney because my chimney is so high. I basically picked up all the brick pieces he drilled outside my house after he left. Maybe he forgot.
The thermostat of the Mt Vernon is so critical to it's operations, actually you can't operate it without it. He wired it up, but what is the extent that the installer is obligated to run the wire and hang it on a wall some where? He was only here for 90 minutes installing the stove, I know once I pick out a spot for the thermostat, it's going to take me that long to run the wire up the walls and mount it.
Should the installer remove all the packing materials after he's done?

The level of service you get from the installer depends on the dealer and also customer expectations. Sounds like they did the very minimum amount of work, I hope the price matched that. We would clean up after ourselves and also do a test fire of the unit if the customer had pellets available (which we request at the time of purchase). We do not normally mount thermostats to distant locations unless previously agreed upon.

It is possible the blowers shifter or the housings were tweaked from the strain of the unit being supported by only two of its legs. That's what it sounds like went on while he installed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.