I Hate to See it Go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
Autumn and winter are my two favorite seasons of the year and burning wood to heat our home is a big reason why.
I thoroughly enjoy building fires in our stoves and watching the fires burn. I grew up in northern Ohio and we lived in a rural area where most folks burned their trash in a barrel out back. As a kid this was one of my daily chores. We had a 50 gallon metal barrel with holes poked in the bottom and sides with the pointed end of a pickax. The barrel sat up on a couple of cinder blocks to promote air flow up through the bottom. I can still recall the feeling standing out there on a crisp autumn afternoon just before dusk tending the burn barrel. Maybe this is where my joy of making fire began.

Here in western NC where my wife and I now live we're getting awfully close to the end of our burning season. During the past couple of weeks I've only built a few small fires to take the chill off things every few days or so. Like a lot of members up north and along the east coast we are in the midst of a cold blast that brought us below freezing temperatures last night and tonight they are predicting it will get down to around 25 F. So, last night I was able to once more build a "real" fire in the living room stove and spend a couple hours lying on the sofa after my final reload watching the fire burn. I do this nearly every night during the burning season and enjoy it immensely. I put some quiet music on the stereo and settle back with a glass of wine and let the day's events wash away in front of the wood stove.

I know the winter has been a harsh one for a great many folks and I suppose the majority of the members here at the forum are ready for spring and some warm weather. For me, I wouldn't mind having another month or two of burning each year, except I wouldn't enjoy having to work up the extra wood all that much. I'm already thinking about next October when the leaves start changing color and I'm hauling wood inside to get a fire going!

IMG_0198.JPG stich b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We are only reaching the high temp that is average for mid-January today with high winds. I am ready to see Winter go away for awhile. Till somewhere around 2020. ;lol

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Woke up to -18C this morning. I love the wood heat, also have a burning barrel, fire pit, etc. My furnace in town ran every month last year - yeah even fired up once or twice in July / Aug. We had about 3 days of summer between last winter and this one and I heard someone say this Feb was the coldest on record since the 1800's apparently. We're 20 deg below seasonal average most days lately. My camp septic line froze (first time ever). We're a few days from April and I can't even flush the crapper. I am a firebug, love the outdoors, scenery, etc and I love the Fall most of all, but I am tired of relentless deep freeze. This winter can go away anytime now. If this trend continues it might be time to point the wagons south. Breaks my heart to even contemplate but unless the other 3 seasons decide to come back and kick old man winter in the n#ts it might be on the radar....

BTW Nick you have a beautiful place there - very nice - sorry for whining a bit - I think we're all kindred spirits, but winter lately is just a bit over the top....

Hey Bag of Hammers, I feel your chill! We only had two snows this winter of 3" and 8" and one 2" sleet accumulation. So someone like me can lament the end of winter while if I were in your frozen shoes I'd be begging for spring to show up!

It snowed lightly yesterday. It was 10 here this morning. The wood I need to cut up is just starting to poke through the snow.

I'm a big ball of frustration from not being able to do anything outside yet. I like four seasons, but I've had enough of winter this year...

Great post Nick. and BTW love the fireplace/stove setup.

There's certainly a charm to it sometimes,
but this winter has put the clappers on me.

I'm ready for some better weather for sure.

What a nice setup.

I am still burning 2 fires a day. -7C in the AM and only +3 in the day. However I must admit that the sun is quite warm this time of the year. Now if only it would melt the snow...FAST.

Andrew

Reactions: pen
Spring is in high gear out here. C'mon mother nature, give up your cold grip.

I have a little while longer to see it go... Here is my back yard yesterday morning -- not a drift, this is what's remaining on the level. And it was also .8 ::F (that's point eight) according to the digital thermometer! We'll just round up and call it 1 above zero! I guess I will go snowmobiling after work these upcoming weekdays; no sense in even trying to trout fish...

Attachments

• Yard 29 Mar 15.jpg
    Yard 29 Mar 15.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.