i have $1,500 to spend on a splitter - which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats awesome! good job, run it hard

Ice - i got it from Lowes in Plainville ma

30 hours on it so far - no problems at all except i broke some of the bolts that hold the side "table" my fault as i wedged a split in there - plan to upgrade to the ebay work side "table"

Backwoods Savage said:
But why lift those logs at all? That's a lot of bending for sure. I'm also wondering what you do when the log gets split perhaps 6 times. Do you have to drop some on the ground and then lift them up again?

For example; say I have a fair sized log and I split it down the middle. Then I just sit half to one side while I continue to split the other half. Then when that is done, I simply slide or roll that half that was set aside onto the splitter and finish it. That seems like it would be a lot of work in horizontal.

One more thing. If anyone has a bad back like mine, you don't want to do any more bending than is necessary. I was taught that when you have a tool, like a splitter, then you should not work any harder than necessary. Lifting logs is work. A lot more work than simply rolling a log onto the splitter.

I've never tried a vertical splitter. I can certainly see the benefit when dealing with rounds that are really heavy. I imagine that you'd be hunched over all of the time. Bending over and rolling heavy rounds sounds like a nightmare to me. It seems like it would be more stress on my back, but I might be wrong.
Rich

CTburns said:
Backwoods Savage said:
But why lift those logs at all? That's a lot of bending for sure...

I've never tried a vertical splitter...
I have and I didn't like it. Now there are three regulars here that have turned vertical splitting into a religion but I still think like you do. Unless you have really strong shoulders and arms as long as an ape, I just cannot see doing it vertical whilst sitting down. I have a bad back and bad shoulders but I can still do heavy lifts if I keep a straight posture. I cannot take any reaching and twisting.

I’ve never tried a vertical splitter…

I have and I didn’t like it.

I've been using my splitter for twenty years and my Kubota tractor for 20 years as well. Wasn't until a couple years ago I realized that bucket loader made an excellent log lift. Now I don't have to lift heavy rounds, I have a work table for the big half-splits, and I can work in my preferred position... standing up straight. Get close to 60 years old and you start to think with your head, not your muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.