I Have Spent My Whole Life Being Told By People From The Northeast..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
that's for sure. these same people think they solved the problem of traction by buying a awd car. i get a laugh at them a little further up the road dangling over the guardrail

Reactions: Beer Belly
I gotta admit, I do chuckle when I hear the south gets a few inches of snow and the town practically shuts down. As far as driving on ice.....slow and steady, and you might get to where you're going.....better off waiting it out if you can. Oh yeah, I'm that guy in the four wheel drive truck that is just chugging along with the flow of traffic.....not in a hurry to put it in a ditch (although, I do pass a few cars, but not a lot)

Most folks in northern New England just forget how to drive for the first few storms and it only takes one or two folks who are clueless to cause accidents. The local tow firm pays for a year of truck payments in the fist 3 or 4 storms of the season. A lot of what he pulls out of the ditch are AWD cars and SUVs, sure they can get going faster but once they hit minimal traction they just have a lot more momentum.

To be really serious for winter studded tires are the way to go, I don't want to put up with them so I go with Nokia's which are the next best alternative.

By the way it varies by state. NH get s lot of tourists so they go for bare tar, while Maine tends to go with plowed on occasion in the center lanes and bare tar when the sun comes out. I live near the state line and its quite noticeable.

It's the worst in places that rarely get it, but as a life long dweller of New England- everyone is an idiot here in bad weather.

A little rain and traffic is terrible.
A little snow and everyone drives way too slow, or way too fast.
Worst are the people that think they are invincible in their jacked up top-heavy 4x4 muddin' trucks that are continuously being hauled hauled out of a ditch.

what about ice truckers? I was told semis were good on ice.

Reactions: Ashful
It was at 0630 on Sunday morning....the majority of people in that pile up were out of staters heading back South after the Thanksgiving holiday. ;)

I live in a tourist town. most of them come from nj, pa, mass and conn. I also live in what is called a snow belt. it is not uncommon to get 6-8 feet in a couple days. I do see a lot more out of towners in ditches than locals. these guy's come up here in escalade's, rovers and other big expensive rigs, they pop em in 4 high and hammer down. with little respect to others on the roads. then you find them rolled over in a field a couple hundred yards ahead. we have locals doing this too, but not near as many. I don't think it's that they don't know what they are doing but they realize how much snow is actually on the road.

I live in a tourist town. most of them come from nj, pa, mass and conn. I also live in what is called a snow belt. it is not uncommon to get 6-8 feet in a couple days. I do see a lot more out of towners in ditches than locals. these guy's come up here in escalade's, rovers and other big expensive rigs, they pop em in 4 high and hammer down. with little respect to others on the roads. then you find them rolled over in a field a couple hundred yards ahead. we have locals doing this too, but not near as many. I don't think it's that they don't know what they are doing but they realize how much snow is actually on the road.

These road warriors scare me the most. They have no idea that their mass when on ice is actually a detriment. Instead of using commonsense they barrel along like they are more important than keeping the roads safe for all. Me and a bus sat on a hill in a blizzard for 15 minutes while an SUV idiot had to extricate himself after passing the bus, spinning out and getting stuck. After he finally got help to get unwedged the bus and I slowly crept up the hill with a 2WD Camry and made it.

Last edited:
Reactions: gyrfalcon
These road warriors scare me the most. They have no idea that their mass when on ice is actually a detriment. Instead of using commonsense they barrel along like they are more important than keeping the roads safe for all. Me and a bus sat on a hill in a blizzard for 15 minutes while an SUV idiot had to extricate himself after passing the bus, spinning out and getting stuck. After he finally got help to get unwedged the bus and I slowly crept up the hill.
I always beep and wave. lol

I always beep and wave. lol

Kinda did that myself one time. In 1988 a week after I bought my new S-10 Blazer, I had been at work 40 miles from here for a few hours we got one of those slick messes and they eventually closed the office. I headed out on the back roads enjoying my new four wheel drive. In the distance ahead I saw two cars. One in each ditch on opposite sides of the road. Must have dodged each other and went off the road. I perked up because I had a brand new tow strap in the truck. As I got closer I could see through the snow that it a a BMW on one side and a Volvo on the other side. Drove right between'em and went on home. ;lol

Anywhere I've been it's the same. First couple snows of the year everyone drives like idiots. Either they don't slow down at all or they're going so slow they are a huge danger to everyone else.
I didn't think that was me until this year. One morning in October going to work I hit black ice on an off-ramp & nearly lost it. Never even considered ice because it was above freezing at my house when I left. That could have been a bad scene, but I got lucky & recovered.
I will say that I've had some chuckles at the expense of people in very expensive sports/luxury cars who are the first to get stuck in a moderate snowstorm :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6 to 8 feet in a few days may happen in Pulaski, but I sure wouldn't say it is common..72 to 96 inches is a good portion of a year's snow for that region. That said, I have far too many times driven the stretch from Syracuse to the 1000 Islands in lousy weather. Right around freezing, and the wind off the lake, that area is treacherous. I see pickup trucks in the ditch all the time. One day, the closer I got to Watertown, the further away I got from it timewise. Over 4 hours Syracuse to Watertown. But I got there, unlike many others on the road.

Multiple hundreds car pile ups on 401 in Ontario between Gananoque and Brockville and other areas as well are not unheard of. Again, thanks to lake effect snow, ice and wind.

I grew up with 4 wheel and AWD and Quadratrack. We were always told as children, you can't stop any faster.

My present car is a suburban AWD, and it is amazing. I come down a slope to a stop sign convinced I will go right through it, and the car stops. Has several systems that assist the handling, and is immeasurably better than the 4 WD suburbans I've had.

Ice is scary. I was ina parking lot on a Sunny day in a 94 landrover about 10 years ago. Went to leave and hit a 20 foot patch of ice at 5 mph. I was completely helpless, just had to wait and see where I ended up. Lucky nothing was around to run into.

Some folks are nice and warm in their cars, and don't realize the temps outside just dropped.....they get too comfy. I usually can tell when it's getting toward Black Ice when I look at the tires of the car in front of me, and notice there is no water coming off his tires, yet the ground looks wet......ease off the throttle, and DO NOT touch that pedal to the left_g

you got it right beer belly don't touch the pedal on the left. everybody panics and hits the brake. worse thing you can do. ride it out then slow down or look for a edge of a snow bank to rub off some speed. not drive into but to rub off some speed then back out the way you went in and go home.

6 to 8 feet in a few days may happen in Pulaski, but I sure wouldn't say it is common..72 to 96 inches is a good portion of a year's snow for that region. That said, I have far too many times driven the stretch from Syracuse to the 1000 Islands in lousy weather. Right around freezing, and the wind off the lake, that area is treacherous. I see pickup trucks in the ditch all the time. One day, the closer I got to Watertown, the further away I got from it timewise. Over 4 hours Syracuse to Watertown. But I got there, unlike many others on the road.

Multiple hundreds car pile ups on 401 in Ontario between Gananoque and Brockville and other areas as well are not unheard of. Again, thanks to lake effect snow, ice and wind.

I grew up with 4 wheel and AWD and Quadratrack. We were always told as children, you can't stop any faster.

My present car is a suburban AWD, and it is amazing. I come down a slope to a stop sign convinced I will go right through it, and the car stops. Has several systems that assist the handling, and is immeasurably better than the 4 WD suburbans I've had.
i don't live in Pulaski, i lve in altmar. Pulaski doesn't get near the snow we get here in the snowbelt. my restaurant is in Pulaski and very very close to the lake. the storms seem to blow right over it. by the time it gets to my house it is usually nasty. my inlaws fishing lodge/ campground is 2 miles from me and they can get 6 inches more than i. weird. lol. the worst part is my wife won't even drive in the snow. geez!

Also, there's no magic to "those people". I was born and raised in southern CA and moved to MA when I was 30. Never had an accident, never freak out when snow comes. Its just common sense and being careful.

Also, there's no magic to "those people". I was born and raised in southern CA and moved to MA when I was 30. Never had an accident, never freak out when snow comes. Its just common sense and being careful.
common sense and courtesy is most important. I don't care if you are driving on slicks, if you have common sense it would tell you not to drive.

Reactions: fbelec
Status
Not open for further replies.