I just got me a splitter....trying it out tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstrail

Oct 7, 2007
Central Illinois
I finally got a splitter.....I bought a used Timberwolf P1. It will be great for me. I will probably do about 6 to 10 cords a year and I think this will work great for that. I will be out trying it out tomorrow. I have a pile that was too much trouble splitting with my maul and I will be splitting that first. Anyway, someone please give me your opinion on whether a 4 way wedge on the p1 is worth it or not. I am thinking about getting one for it next.

Well, better go update my profile now.

cstrail said:
I finally got a splitter.....I bought a used Timberwolf P1. It will be great for me. I will probably do about 6 to 10 cords a year and I think this will work great for that. I will be out trying it out tomorrow. I have a pile that was too much trouble splitting with my maul and I will be splitting that first. Anyway, someone please give me your opinion on whether a 4 way wedge on the p1 is worth it or not. I am thinking about getting one for it next.

Well, better go update my profile now.

Mixed bags on the multi-way wedges. Some folks love them, I don't want anything to do with them, as I'd rather take a little longer and have the better control and flexibility over exact split size that you get with a single wedge.

Gooserider

I've been looking at multi ways for a while, everything from a 4 way to the 16s on the bigger processors. It seems like the biggest advantage is when you have a lot of rounds that can be dropped in and make a single pass and not touch the splits. My guess is that your pile that didn't get split with the maul is big and/or gnarly and wouldn't work well with the 4 way. However, that smaller diameter straight stuff might make it worth it depending on how much of it you have.

I could add a 4 way but after years of back bashing unsplittable elm off the wedge with a sledge I passed. I'm thinking it would be pretty hard to bash elm off a 4 way. If you have lots of elm I'd pass on the 4 way.

I've been thinking about getting a 4 way that slips on and off. TSC has one for their huskee splitters that i think might work on my splitter. I think it would be a good addition. Alot of the stuff that I am splitting right now just needs to be 1/4 and the 4way would be helpful right now. And for those bigger rounds all I would have to do is slip if off. I also thing that if a round gets stuck on the 4 way I would just send another round through to push it off.

Go for it, especially if you can get a decent deal on it. I have a TW-P1 and 4-way spilt 90+ percent of my wood. No, it won't split certain elm pieces and some large, knotty hickory pieces, but so what? Slip it off, make your split, slip it back on again.

Now if most of your wood is knotty elm or crap like that, then forget the 4-way wedge issue because, frankly, you need a bigger splitter. 5" cylinder and 22-28gpm pump would be swell for that sort of wood. But if you're like me and it is mostly ash, oak, maple, and cherry, then the 4-way is a nice thing to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.