I just have to share this....... wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
I got a call from a customer and they asked me to inspect a stove in a house they purchased a year or so ago. They felt the "fireplace" was not installed correctly.

Pictures are worth a 1,000 comments so fire away.

Eric

#1.jpg #2.jpg #3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I have seen a few similar to that. I cant believe some of these houses haven't burnt down. The sunburst wall although dated is pretty cool though.

Reactions: Ashful
Nice install! What are the aluminum flex liners for?

Wow. Like a nice paint job over a car made out of bondo...

LOL! That's terrifying! I guess the installer had some very rudimentary understanding of "stove insert" and "block-off plate"! As they say, a little knowledge can be more dangerous than ignorance. I do like the sunburst woodwork - I think that styling is due for a revival.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
I do like the sunburst woodwork - I think that styling is due for a revival.

Actually, that's the one part of this whole setup if leave alone. Very cool period detail, even if that period was recent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, out of curiosity, what made them look behind the flashing?
They called in a sweep to do a yearly cleaning and he said this was out of his pay grade. They called me to look into it.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
That is called a "firestop".
Oh is that what it's called! Lol. Learn something new everyday. Which code would I find cardboard fire stop requirements in? How many layers? Corrugated? Virgin or inked? God so many decisions.

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Status
Not open for further replies.