I love the glass air wash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed at how good the air wash works. I have a small 1.3 firebox so for me stuffing is tough I can do one larger split, one medium split and one small and I am full to the gills. Anyway to my point three times now the wood shifted too close to the glass and I got a black mark and thought "GREAT that's not coming off", but after a half hour up to full time the black spot is gone! About once a week I just clean the ash and a light film off but I am amazed at how well it works.

Napoleon 1100C

Yeah, I was worried about my glass getting dirty. But, I have been pleasantly surprised. My stove sooted up a little when I first starting using it, but now it stays almost spotless. Maybe I'm getting better and operating it.

My family used wood to heat when I was young, but we never had a glass window on our stoves. Now, after running my stove, I cannot understand why someone would want anything else.

Wife opened the front door for the first time this year (ha ha, no really you had to be there). The ash that poured out!!! Glass is a bit ashy, not sooty, but I wasn't going to clean it because it was still alright. Had to give a bit of a chuckle. Snow on the horizon. We'll see for tomorrow. Bring on a little bit.
Chad

chad3 said:
Wife opened the front door for the first time this year (ha ha, no really you had to be there). The ash that poured out!!! Glass is a bit ashy, not sooty, but I wasn't going to clean it because it was still alright. Had to give a bit of a chuckle. Snow on the horizon. We'll see for tomorrow. Bring on a little bit.
Chad

The one minor issue I have with the Oslo . . . everytime I open the front door for its cleaning I get a half cup or more of ash spill out on to the ash lip . . . and this is after I've reached inside the side door and used a wisk broom to sweep away the bulk of the ashes from the front (and yes, this is done when the stove is cool).

The airwash helps, but I think you have to credit the pyro-ceramic 'glass' and the self-cleaning-oven effect for most of what you are seeing, especially the burn-off of existing smudges and deposits. Give yourself some credit too, since you have to be burning hot and clean for burn-off to happen.

My Jotul Model 8 is pre-EPA and pre-airwash, and smoked up its glass pretty good on my first few slow fires... I thought I was going to spend the winter watching dim hazy fires through dirty glass. Now I am running bigger fires, I've added some firebrick and ceramic wool to help the firebox run hotter, and I've learned a few things about loading and running the stove to help keep smoke away from the glass... and I have a great view of the fire 95% of the time. Airwash would help by keeping more smoke away from the glass (I have to wipe a light haze off daily), but it is not a magic wand... running hot and clean, and having 'glass' that is happy at 1000 degrees, plays just as big a role in keeping glass clean, in my opinion.

Eddy

I've seen the wife use the straw broom when there are live coals... There isn't much of that broom left these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.